30: dig in

Kai pulled up in front of a tall apartment building. It looked expensive and not somewhere Valerie would've ever seen herself. There was no way Kai was staying here. Looking expectantly at him, Valerie questioned, "There is no way this is where you're staying? I didn't even know buildings this nice were around here?"

Raising his eyebrows, Kai affirmed, "You like it?"

Valerie leaned forward so she could see the extent of the building. "Duh, of course."

Laughing, Kai swung his door open. Removing her seatbelt, Valerie was pushing the door open by the time Kai was already there and holding it open for her. "Thank you."

Rolling onto the balls of his feet, Kai nodded at the entrance, "I mean it's no 5 star hotel or anything."

Kai clicked his key and the car locked. Making their way towards the lobby, Valerie wondered, "How could you afford this place? I'm guessing you didn't bring much money back with you."

Holding the door open for her, Kai shook his head. "All part of the mystery babe."

Valerie mock-glared over her shoulder. "Babe?"

Tipping his head back, he chuckled. "Yeah it didn't seem like me did it? Too preppy."

Pinching her fingers together, Valerie agreed. "Just a little."

Kai directed her towards the elevators as she remembered Jo. God, she hoped she'd made it out of the school.

***

"You're on the top floor? Really? You've gotta tell me how you managed this?" Valerie pleaded, strolling into Kai's penthouse suite. She'd never imagined she'd ever see such luxury, especially so close to home.

"I'll never tell." Chucking his keys on the table top, Kai hopped onto the couch.

"You wanna watch some Tv? There's so much to choose from now. It's insane, I could spend the rest of my life sat right here on this couch."

Valerie reluctantly slouched beside him, leaving a considerable amount of space between them. "I hope not. You need to keep your promise, to teach me."

Smiling ruefully, Kai quipped, "Did I promise that?"

Whacking him with one of his fancy plush pillows, Valerie replied, "Yes! You did. Is your memory really that bad? How old are you again?"

Smirking, Kai gripped Valerie's thigh. "Twenty-two everywhere it matters." Pulling her closer to him, Kai wrapped his arm behind her shoulders.

Digging her nails into his side, Valerie commented, "Wow you're really doucheey. It's kind of hilarious actually."

Dipping his chin, Kai motioned the 'who me?' face, double chin and all.

Some crappy medical drama was playing on the wide flat screen that was mounted on the wall, Valerie liked the place.

Removing his arm, she walked towards the full length windows that ran around half of the apartment. It was pitch black outside now and the city lights could be seen glinting of the glass. It was beautiful. She could live like this forever.

Valerie could feel his eyes on her from the sofa. "Why isn't this enough?"

"What?"