Chapter 4 - Choosing a family

Was it the last time, he’ll see his brother?

The thought had been bugging Tom since his mum had called. He hadn’t even blinked the night. And in the morning everyone could feel the tension in Tom. “Any problem, Tom?” Jay asked. “My parents are home! They are coming to fetch Nathan today! I don’t want him to go!” Tom said sadly. “Then don’t let him go mate! Tell your parents you want to keep the little guy!” Siva said throwing an arm around Tom’s shoulder. “They don’t want to hear any of that! Also, I don’t think Nathan would want to stay with me!” Tom said. “We’ll figure something out mate!” Max promised rubbing Tom’s arm.

It wasn’t even an hour before lunch time when Tom’s parent made their apparition. Kelsey was the one who opened the door. “Hey!” Tom greeted. “Quite nice house” Jason said looking around. “Thanks” Tom mumbled. Lena was looking at how crowded the place was and Tom noticed. “Guys, they are my parents and that’s Max, Siva, Siva’s girlfriend Nareesha, Jay and that’s my girlfriend Kelsey!” Tom introduced. Lena raised an eyebrow looking at Kelsey. “Where’s Nathan?” Jason asked. Nathan chose that time only to walk down the stairs.

“What are you doing here?” Nathan asked his parents. “We came to fetch you! Come on!” Lena said. Nathan looked at Tom and hesitated for a while but then he thought Tom was the one who left him and went away maybe it is good that he returns home. Nathan nodded. “What? No! You’re not going with them Nath! I know how good parents they are! You don’t have to stay with them Nath! Stay with me!” Tom said. “Why should I? You had no problem leaving me with me before then why now?” Nathan shouted tears pooling in his eyes. “I… No Nath! I had to leave you with them! At that time I couldn’t take you with me! I had no fixed place. And God knows I refused being in the band when I came to know I had to leave you with them. But I had to join the band because of mum and dad, Nath! You remember how they had suffered loss in their business. I had to join the band to make money and send it home so that they could raise you up. I did it for you, baby!” Tom said tears pooling in his own eyes.

It was all too much for Nathan. For years he had blamed his brother but his brother actually had done all this for him! It was actually Nathan’s fault! He never even gave Tom a chance to explain himself. “Nathan, we have to leave now!” Jason yelled. Nathan took a look at his father then Tom before running out of the door. “Nath! Nathan!” Tom shouted moving to go behind Nathan when Jason stopped him grabbing Tom by his collar. “You can’t do this! Nathan will go with us!” Jason threatened. “We should find Nathan!” Siva said. “I’ll go find him!” Jason said. “Tom knows the area better!” Jay said. “Go, Jay and I will stay at home!” Max said. “Come on Seev! Let’s go find him!” Tom said and ran out of the door.

They found Nathan after 10 minutes sitting by the on the bench in the park crying in his knees. Tom had recognized the hunched figure as his little brother. Tom and Siva sighed as they approached him. They sat to each side of Nathan. Nathan felt a hand on his back and raised his head up to see Tom and Siva. “You never wanted to leave me with them?” Nathan asked. “No! But we needed money to raise you up, for you to go to school. I used to send them money for you, Nath!” Tom said calmly. “I’m sorry I thought you left me!” Nathan said in tears. “I would never do that!” Tom said pulling Nathan to sit on his lap and hugged the boy. Siva smiled looking at them. “We should be going guys!” Siva said.

When they reached home, Jason and Lena were more than ready to leave with Nathan. But Nathan was holding on to Tom’s arm tightly. “Nathan!” Lena shouted. Nathan whimpered shaking his head no and nearly hiding behind Tom. Jason had enough of Nathan’s antics and pulled the boy sideways unbuckling his belt, Jason landed 5 harsh belt marks on Nathan’s backside.

SHWAP SHWAP SHWAP SHWAP SHWAP

Tom sprinted forward pulling his brother to him. “Nathan will stay with me!” Tom said. “No way!” Lena said. “Let’s ask Nathan himself!” Siva said. “Nath, who do you want to stay with, bud?” Jay asked. “Tom” Nathan replied. “Got it! Now get out!” Tom said to his parents. “You can’t do that!” Jason warned. “Well considering that Nathan has belt marks on his backside right now! We can get CPS and take the kid!” Max said. “Let it be, Jason! I’m sure they’ll regret the kid soon!” Lena said. Tom huffed as Jason smirked and made his way out.

Tom sighed and turning around his eyes fell on his little brother who was looking down.  He crouched down in front of Nathan. “Listen to me Nath! I’ll never regret you and I’m sure of that!” Tom promised. Nathan looked at Tom and smiled before Tom pulled him in a hug. “Your parents are a serious exception!” Nareesha said. “Yeah! Sorry for that!” Tom said. “Don’t be silly Tom!” Siva said. “We’ve got a kid at home now!” Jay said sounding cheesy. The boys laughed along with him.

Tom pulled Nathan to sit on his lap as they all sat on the couch. “Thank you guys for having my back!” Tom said. “Come on Tom! We’re family, right?” Max said. “Nath, this is also your family!” Tom said. Nathan hesitated and gave a short nod. The kid was always shy! He would have to get the boy to adjust in the family now, Tom thought!

This night sitting in his bed, Nathan opened his fist staring at the razor in his hand. He itched for a cut as always but he was happy today. Finally, everything was sorted out between him and Tom and also he no longer had to stay with his parents. He was happy after so long. Nathan hid the razor back as he heard footsteps. “Not feeling sleepy?” Tom asked. “Nope” Nathan said. “Come on we’re watching a movie downstairs!” He said leading his little brother down. Maybe he won’t need a cut henceforth! He has a family now!

A/N

Chapter 4! Dedicated mainly to @DeanPryor1 and @Nazzayah for the idea! Thank you guys!

Also dedicated to @weirdvic, @unfinished4now99, @sarasaritta, @AmberNMiller, @Jell11, @Mel_Amelia,  @MahnoorNadeem

Thank you for your lovely comments!

Thank you to those reading!

Please Read/ Vote/ Comment/ Suggest what you would like to see happening next!

P.S – Next chapter: Tom makes Nathan grow closer to the boys and the girls! Family bonding!

xx Hailey