Chapter 6 - Trouble in paradise

Nathan ran in the bathroom and cut his arm with the blade. He made another cut when suddenly he heard a “Nathan? What are you…” He turned back to see Jay standing at the door.

Nathan turned back holding the blade in his hands and hands behind his back. “Show me what you’re hiding” Jay said. “Nothing” Nathan said not making eye contact with Jay. “Look up and hands forward” Jay said sternly. Nathan shook his head. “Nath” Jay warned. Nathan again shook his head. As Jay took a step forward, Nathan tried backing away only to hit his back with the sink. But there was no room to run away and no hole for Nathan to dig himself in.

Nathan let his eyes shut tight as Jay turned him around. He heard the gasp as Jay snatched the blade and most probably saw the bleeding cuts. Nathan waited for the laughs or maybe the words ‘you’re messed up’, ‘pathetic’ to come but instead he heard Jay getting on his knees in front of him. Given Nathan’s small physique for a 12 years old and Jay being tall, with Jay crouching down he was kind of eye level to Nathan. “Why?” Jay asked as he snatched the towel and pressed it to the cuts on Nathan’s forearms.

Nathan hadn’t expected that. He thought he’ll get himself laughed at or scolded at but someone trying to know why he was doing this, he hadn’t expected this. “Nath, why do you cut?” Jay asked. “It helps” Nathan answered. “Helps against what?” Jay prompted. “To deal with… I’m pathetic, stupid, idiot and a burden for Tom” Nathan sobbed. “Tom told you told these things?” Jay asked. “No… No… He is very nice. But my mum, dad and back at school, the kids…” Nathan said. “Nath, they are the worse person to listen to. I’m telling you you’re a smart and nice kid. And you’re not a burden for Tom not even for us.” Jay explained.

Nathan looked up at Jay, tears still streaming down his face. “It’s hard to believe” Nathan whispered. “But it’s the truth! Did you think how Tom would feel if he gets to know about this?” Jay asked. Nathan’s eyes widened at that. “You won’t tell? Please?” Nathan pleaded. “I don’t know… He’s your brother, he needs to know.” Jay said. “Please, you said he’ll feel bad. I don’t want him to feel bad!” Nathan cried. “Then you’ll have to stop this self harm!” Jay said. “I… I…” Nathan stuttered. “You can’t? If you can’t then maybe we should tell Tom and send you for therapy or something like counseling” Jay said. “Please, I don’t want to be locked.” Nathan sobbed.

“Whoa, where does that come from? Nobody is going to lock you! It’s just someone who’ll talk to you and help you out of self harming” Jay said. “No please, I’ll try to stop” Nathan pleaded. “Promise” Jay asked. “If you promise you won’t tell Tom or anyone?” Nathan bargained. “If I find you cutting then I’m telling on you” Jay promised. Nathan nodded. “Alright, now let’s get these cuts cleaned!” Jay said getting back on his feet and leading Nathan to the bed.

After some time, both Jay and Nathan walked down to the kitchen. They were met by five worried faces of Tom, Kelsey, Siva, Nareesha and Max. “What happened?” Jay asked. “We have an urgent meeting with Scooter.” Max explained. “So? The girls can watch Nathan if we can’t take Nathan.” Jay said. “Scooter wants talk to us about Nathan and he wants Nathan to come along!” Siva added. “Oh” jay exclaimed. “I have a feeling this is going to be bad!” Tom said. Kelsey hugged Tom from behind. Jay noticed the smile fading from Nathan’s face and squeezed his shoulder.

*Scooter’s office*

The boys had been sitting and for maybe the first time not messing around but sitting quietly. Tom had Nathan’s chair close to him. Nano sat directly across Tom so he was facing both Tom and Nathan. Nathan lifted his head up once to look at Nano but when he found the man observing him, Nathan let his gaze drop and scooter nearer to Tom. None of them were talking. They were all worried about what Scooter would say.