Chapter 5 - A family in its whole

Standing from the doorway, Tom watched his little brother sleep. He smiled at the twelve year old who was curled in his fetal position his teddy bear, Whiskers, under on arm while his other arm went up to his face, his thumb firmly planted in his mouth. “Creepy are we?” a voice startled Tom. Tom turned back and sighed when he saw Max. “Scared me there” Tom whispered. “Sorry mate! What are you doing here, watching the little dude?” Max asked. “I can’t believe I finally got him out from my parent’s grip!” Tom said. “Believe it mate! This is for real! Wake him for breakfast” Max said walking out. Tom smiled moving towards Nathan.

Tom sat next to Nathan watching the boy closely. Yup, this is definitely real! Tom ran his fingers through Nathan’s hair earning a sleepy groan from the boy. “It’s morning baby! Don’t you want to wake up?” Tom asked. At first Nathan was confused! He usually had grumpy mornings when he’d hear a GET UP NATHAN before the door slams close and his parents are off for work. But this soothing voice? Then he remembered… Tom! “No! Sleep” Nathan said not opening his eyes. “Really?” Tom asked and chuckled when he got a nod. “Nath?” Tom asked. “Hmm…” Nathan replied. “I was wondering if you’re still ticklish.” Tom asked. “Not” Nathan replied. “How about here?” Tom asked brushing his fingers against Nathan’s heels and making the boy squirm and giggle. “Hmm… And the sides?” Tom asked pinning Nathan with one hand while tickling his sides. Nathan laughed but was soon pleading Tom to stop which Tom playfully ignored. “Come on, it’s breakfast time!” Tom said pulling Nathan up.

Ten minutes later, Tom and Nathan walked down to the kitchen. Though Nathan liked the boys and girls, he didn’t really engage in conversations with them instead he remained a little aloof from them. He tended to stick only to Tom. Not that the boys minded but if they were to stay together it would be really awkward. Tom had seen the boys trying their best to be in the good books of Nathan but he really hadn’t paid attention to how Nathan kept his distance from the rest.

In fact Tom realized it only when Nathan had a nightmare one night that had left him in tears. Tom had gotten a break from all his problems and he could finally relax and spend some time with Kelsey. But they were interrupted by a knock on the door. “Ugh” Tom groaned as he pulled away from Kelsey, “who the hell could it be?” He found Nathan at the door in tears. Nathan wrapped his arms around Tom crying his little heart out and Tom could only catch words like ‘nightmare’, ‘dad’, ‘hit’ but it was enough for him to understand the distress his brother was in. Tom scooped him up and glanced at Kelsey mouthing ‘I’m sorry’ before moving to Nathan’s room.

Tom didn’t mind the closeness with his little brother. He was instead grateful that things had turned good between him and his brother now. But he also realized that Nathan clinging to him wouldn’t do any good for the lad himself and he needed to learn to trust and stay with the boys also. That is why he made a little plan knowing that Nathan would feel bad if he tells the lad to give him some space and to bond with the others also.

It was supposed to be a party night for The Wanted at their apartment. And Tom had Nathan already in bed asleep at 8. It was one of those crazy parties that The Wanted has but it was tone down slightly in terms of noise for Nathan. Tom pulled Kelsey to in a corner as he watched Nathan trudge down in tears with his teddy, Whiskers, in his arm. “Tom? What? Go, Nath needs you!” Kelsey said. “I know… Just wait!” Tom said as they watched Nathan look around. Max was with some girls while Jay was at the bar and Siva and Nareesha were dancing with each other. But Nathan couldn’t see Tom. He stood there at lost what to do as he looked around for Tom.

It was Nareesha who saw Nathan. She walked to him. “What’s wrong baby? Why are you crying?” Nareesha asked. “Nightmare… I want Tom” Nathan sobbed. Nareesha gave him a hug and looked around but she couldn’t find Tom instead she waved to Siva calling him. Siva walked to them and saw Nathan. “What happened little dude?” Siva asked Nathan who couldn’t talk through his sobs and Siva could only catch ‘nightmare’ and ‘Tom.’ “Go look for Tom!” Siva asked Nareesha as he scooped Nathan up walking to the kitchen. He set Nathan on the counter as he grabbed a glass of water and helped the lad drink some. He then scooped Nathan up again and walked to Nathan’s room. Gently humming a song while walking to the room, Siva had Nathan drifting off to sleep as he laid the boy down.