Red-Handed

Henry and I were at the police station helping Ruby find a new job. Apparently, she quit hers because she and Granny got in a fight. She's also staying at our place for the time being too. We were on Storybrooke Daily Mirror.com looking through all the jobs they had. Mostly, why I'm helping is because I'm trying to get my mind off of what I saw in the book. Henry doesn't know I looked at the last page yet, I don't really plan on telling him.

"Want to be a bike messenger?" Henry asked Ruby.

"Bike messenger?" Ruby asked.

"It's where you take things to people in a basket." I explained to the older woman.

"Nope. Yeah, see, I'm not so great at bike riding." Ruby said, messing around with a pencil in her hand.

"How about taking things on foot, to people, in a little basket?" Henry asked.

"I'm not so sure that's a real job." Ruby said. I look over at Henry with an eyebrow raised. It's not an actual job. Then, the phone started to ring.

"Why do the phones keep doing that?" Ruby asked us.

"The non-urgent calls go to straight to the machine when Emma's busy." I replied.

The phone started to ring again and Ruby answered it, "Sheriff's station. How can I help you? Mmhmm. I'll get her to return. Thank you, too." Ruby then answered the next call, "Sheriff's station. Hey, Miss Ginger. Uh, no, that's not a prowler. That's Archie's dog – Pongo. Throw him a vanilla wafer. He'll quiet down. Did you still want to talk to Emma? Great. Glad I could help." Ruby hung up the phone.

"How's it going, you three?" Emma said. Was she there to whole time?

"Great. Except I can't do anything." Ruby said. My eyes widened. Did she not realize what she did before?!

"I'm sure that's not true. I just saw you on the phone. That was good." Emma told her.

"That? That's nothing." Ruby shrugged.

"No. No, it isn't. I actually have some money in the budget if you want to help out around here." Emma said.

Ruby stood up, "Yes! Thank you! Yes. Um, I could answer phones and help out. Um, is there anything else that you need done? Organize files, cleaning up? Please – I want to be useful."

"I'm swamped with the Kathryn Nolan thing. If you maybe want to grab us lunch, I would never say no to a grilled cheese." Emma said.

"Done." Ruby smiled, she picked up her bag and looked at Me and Henry, "You two want anything?"

"Um, two chocolate chip cookies, an apple pie, and a hot dog." Henry answered.

"A Coke, chocolate pie, and some Kit Kats." I replied.

"They ate at school." Emma said, walking to her office. Mary-Margret walked in just as Ruby was about to leave.

"Hey! Lunch, Mary Margaret? I'm getting for everyone." Ruby asked.

"Uh, no. I'm not hungry."  Mary-Margret answered. Then, Ruby left. "David's in the woods. There's something wrong with him. He looked right through me. It's like... It's like he was a different person." Henry and I both looked at Emma as she looked at us.

{Later}

Emma was getting ready to leave and Henry and I were hiding the book in a drawer in one of the desks.

Emma came over to us, "Okay, kids. Don't mean to kick you out, but I got to go see if David's in some kind of trouble out there."

"It's okay. I'm supposed to meet my mom." Henry locked the drawer, "There."