An Anatomy of Luna Valente

Prompt: Matteo POV recalling the moment he fell in love with Luna.

Her energy. She was incapable of standing still. Constantly playing with her hair or swinging her arms or tapping her foot to an inaudible melody. Even after the longest school day, she immediately put her skates on. More than once he found her dancing even though training hadn't started yet. And usually, she was the last one to leave the rink. Luna resembled a power station, never running out of energy. And she was providing those around her with that energy too. She never seemed to be tired.

(Sometimes he imagined her sleeping. Did she move around all the time too? Or was she, for once, entirely calm? Matteo had no idea but he desperately wanted to know.)

Her ambition. In comparison to everyone else at the Jam&Rollers, Luna had started skating late. Too late, Matteo had thought in the beginning. Boy, was he wrong. "Giving up" wasn't an option. Nothing stopped her from reaching for the stars. He felt ashamed of the times he used to laugh at her for falling. Now he admired her willpower. Luna tried and worked until she reached her goals. And he'd be damned if he wasn't by her side helping her.

Her loyalty. Never had he encountered someone as loyal and kind as Luna. Lucky was whoever got to be her friend. She planned parties for them so they stayed in Argentina. She kept their secrets even if it meant standing up to Ambár and her entourage. Matteo hated to admit it, but he was jealous of Simón and their friendship. Sure, she enjoyed bickering with Matteo. But nothing compared to the way she lit up around her best friend. There wasn't a thing she wouldn't do for the ones she loved.

Her clumsiness. She tripped over her own two feet. A pile of books on her arms meant to better keep some distance. There was always one thing she currently missed and was looking for. (Sometimes her own head.) One day, after she ran into Gastón one too many times, he brought a helmet to school. He insisted on wearing it as soon as he spotted Luna. Only on skates it was that Matteo didn't have to save his delivery girl from having another encounter with the ground. At least most of the time.

Her smile. It blinded him. He still longed for more. It was easy to make Luna smile. She even laughed at Gastón's terrible jokes. Nonetheless, Matteo felt proud when he managed to unlock it. And once the corners of her lips lifted, she didn't hold back. It was the most beautiful thing. So, he stood there, simply watching as if she belonged in an art exhibition. Somehow, her smile was just that: a masterpiece.

From the moment she had bumped into him (literally, and it had been her fault), his life changed. He found it impossible to think about the time before that incident. Luna became his light, the sun, and he savored every ray he could get. He couldn't pin the exact moment he fell in love. He only knew this: with Luna Valente, it was all in or nothing. And Matteo found himself doing the same. He never wanted to live another day without his delivery girl by his side.