Moving along

Just a short thing I wrote while almost falling asleep, based on the post break-up prompts from nadiahilker on Tumblr. The title is from the 5sos' song :D

///

Wrinkled sheets. A rumbled blanket. A pillow that isn't cold on either side because she keeps turning it, hoping for a cure to her restlessness. It's useless, Luna is aware of that. But even someone drowning must carry a spark of hope, and so she can't help but try again and again.

Sleep still refuses to knock on her door.

When she gets up, her bones are heavy, yet not as heavy as her heart. Not even coffee makes it easier to prepare for the lectures. Maybe she'll take a nap in the last row, wouldn't be the first time. And quite possibly not the last time, at least until the left side of her bed stops haunting her with its emptiness and coldness. Her whole flat is cleaned of his memory by now, just her bed clings on to the shadow of his love, two months after they broke up.

Just her bed and this huge chunk of her heart that seems to be reserved solely for him.

The doorbell saves her from wallowing some more in bittersweet memories. A package is supposed to arrive today, and she hurries to the door with a smile. Her friends insisted on ordering one of these ridiculous baking sets for her, promising the "man of her dreams" and although she's not too fond of the idea, she craves a freshly baked treat out of the oven. It's what she deserves after all this hurt.

Except that there's no delivery waiting for her.

"You're not the man of my dreams," Luna blurts out. Realizes the implications of her words. Blushes furiously.

Matteo stares at her, dumbfounded. "Wow, okay, thanks for making that clear, I had no idea," he then snorts and turns to leave.

"No, wait!" He stops, back turned to her. "I didn't... I mean... He's fake. Or baked. Both? They got me this set. My friends."

Matteo doesn't look too convinced. Luna clears her throat. "Anyway. Hi."

"Hi."

Her unspoken question is left hanging in the air, so she hides half behind her door before she asks out loud, "How come you're here?" A sigh follows. His hand ruffles through his hair, and he avoids her gaze. "I wanted to ask you something." The seriousness in his tone takes Luna aback. Not because she wouldn't be used to it, on the contrary, in the last months she heard it more often than she could bear, but because the shyness, the tenderness in it is new.

"Come in."

Matteo back in her apartment is a sight so heartbreaking it steals her breath away. Two days ago, Sebastián stood in the same spot, resembling a lost but over-confident puppy up to the moment she watched him walk out of the door again. The youtuber is nice, without a doubt, and she likes hanging out with him.

But he's not Matteo, who fits in so perfectly like this is the place where he belongs. Belonged, Luna reminds herself.

"Look, I know this might sound weird," he now begins, "but I didn't sleep much in the past weeks and I have this super important presentation today and I need to get at least a little rest."

"And that's why you came to me?"

The shrug he gives her speaks of helplessness, of nights wasted away and the same grogginess in the mornings that she fails to shake off. "I guess." His voice drops, breaks. And so, Luna forgets about classes, about lunch breaks with her friends, about anything and everything, as long as she gets the chance to find peace again, with him. If only for a few hours.

"Okay."

///

As soon as he lays down next to her, her body calms down. Relaxes. Breathing gets easier. The sleep that avoided her so successfully now welcomes her with open arms. Just a touch is enough to reassure her mind of his presence, a knee bumped into her leg, a fingertip lingering on her arm. But apparently, it's not enough for Matteo. His arm wraps around her, pulls her closer. The left-overs of his cologne linger in her nose.