Take me all the way, take me to the stars III

Last part for this one! I hope you enjoyed this story and are ready for some more pining!

///

It's getting hard to slow down now

"Chica delivery, don't look so scared. I told you this won't kill you."

Matteo laughed. After all, he had no reason to look – as he put it – scared. He was Italian, and Italians probably sat on a motorcycle before they began to take their first shaky steps. (No, she totally wasn't exaggerating or freaking out.)

"Are you sure you know how to drive this?" she asked, her fingers clenching around the borrowed helmet.

"Yup. You might wanna hold on tight, though." Whatever he searched for in her face, he failed to find it. "Hey, are you doubting me?"

Despite how much she wanted to agree, Luna shook her head. "No, of course not. I'm just fearing for my life."

In that moment Matteo must have realized she really was a nervous wreck. With a soft smile – the softest – he took her hand, his thumb gently rubbing over her skin. "Luna, I promise you'll be fine. Remember all those summers I spent in Italy? When it wasn't snowing, I drove those things every day. I wouldn't let you get on one of these if I wasn't completely sure I knew how to handle it. Promise."

She had no idea how he pulled this off. Once again, he found exactly the right words to get through to her, found exactly the right tone, the featherlight pat on her arm, the encouraging smile that let her forget that something like fear even existed.

"Now, do you trust me?" he wanted to know.

She nodded, lost in the light of his eyes.

///

The Italian way to drive was, well, something. Matteo started all slow and careful, only to soon speed up and curve through the streets of Milan like he'd been dared to a race. In hindsight, she should have expected this, he never knew how to slow down on the rink either.

He drove so fast.

Or Luna felt like they were going faster because of the wind running through her hair that peeked out underneath the helmet or because of all the sounds around her melting into one confusing noise.

In every curve, Luna held her breath and wrapped her arms tighter around him. Even when he took the streets leading to the inner city and slowed down, she didn't ease her grip on him.

Too late did it occur to her that perhaps this had been his plan all along. At least it would explain the huge smile on his lips that Matteo revealed when he stopped for lunch and took his helmet off.

"That was awesome! Gosh, I missed this."

"I didn't," Luna answered. Her voice struggled to carry the joke the way she intended to, but at least it didn't tremble like her knees.

"You're a little pale, chica delivery." Matteo sounded honestly surprised, not that she blamed him. They both were high on adrenaline, only that he enjoyed the rush much more than she did.

He pulled her into a hug.

Slowly, her heartbeat calmed down, slowly, she felt the comfort of his arms hush away any left-over distress. "I'll take it easier from now on," he whispered into her ear.

And he kept that promise.

At traffic lights, he put his hand on hers, slightly squeezing, silently asking if she was fine. And every time she pushed back, her heart fluttered in her chest, but not from the ride.