Just a friend to you

(Based on Meghan Trainor - "Just a friend to you" and s1e78)

"I loved you from the start so it breaks my heart when you say I'm just a friend to you, 'cause friends don't do the things we do. Everybody knows you love me too."  

Never had any conversation cut through Matteo's heart like the one he currently ran away from. Four words especially tortured him. They burned holes inside his mind, playing repeatedly until no sound reached his ears.

We should stay friends.

Matteo wanted to cry, punch a wall, and shake Luna, until she opened her eyes. At the same time. How could she be so blind? How could she do this to him and deny the connection, the spark between them? After everything they've been through?

Summer came closer, bringing the holidays along and inevitably forcing him to leave the country. Now, that he found a place he belonged to. He experienced this for the first time: having a home.

But he couldn't stop time, even if he wanted to. His time ran out, too fast to allow any obstacles to get in their way. Matteo loved her, deeply. Shouldn't that be enough? Maybe the universe wanted to punish him. Or maybe she told the truth and didn't love him. After all, it was possible he completely misinterpreted her behavior.

We should stay friends. A fairy probably died every time someone said that. Like a poison in his veins, it damaged his whole body. His breath run short, while his heart kept beating twice as fast as usual. Since half an hour he walked around Buenos Aires now, and his hands were shaking nonetheless. Did she realize the harm she caused him? Had she managed to meet his eyes long enough to see the pain written all over them?

At night, sleep never came. No matter how he tossed and turned, Matteo found no rest. It surprised him to what degree a small sentence ruined his life. How was he supposed to look her into the eyes next time they met? Even thinking about it made him feel dizzy.

I think that nothing can happen between us.

Without warning, another question struck him like lightning. Nothing can happen between us... What if Luna forbid herself to return his feelings? Ultimately, this girl always put other people's needs before her own. His shattered hopes started building up again – until a certain face appeared in his thoughts. The guitarist. For all Matteo knew, her best friend hadn't fallen out of love. And Luna tried not to increase his hurt, that much was obvious. He groaned, burying his head in his pillow. Would it always lead up to this, a decision between Simón and Matteo? Because in this case, Matteo surely lost.

Hours passed by and his mind kept revolving around Luna. He hated the idea of letting her go. In the end though, he found no other possibility than to move on.

Italy didn't seem so bad any longer. With time, his hurt certainly would pass and be replaced by love once more. Until then, he'd try to forget how she broke his heart.

I think that nothing can happen between us. We should stay friends.