Nothing else matters

(based on s3 ep30)

All the rumors around Matteo's accident seemed to have kickstarted my ideas and before I knew it, I was writing this... I hope you enjoy it :D

///

"Matteo, say something, please!"

Luna cowers over him, over his moveless body. She squeezes his hand. Shakes his shoulder. Calls his name. Cries. Begs him to answer. Calls his name again.

But whatever Luna tries, he doesn't wake up.

///

The ambulance drives away without her. Loud sirens and blue lights announce to the world that someone is in desperate need of help, that someone needs saving, a little miracle.

That Matteo needs a little miracle.

As she watches the car getting smaller and smaller, time freezes. Speeds up for her. Freezes, speeds up. It's a conflict she can't solve because she is frozen, while everything around her moves on too quickly. Her parents stand next to her, their voices passing right through her and in their hug, Luna feels every single part of her heart shattering into pieces.

There's pain.

There's air in her lungs, cold and sharp and ripping her open from inside.

There are thoughts, too many of them, breaking and crushing and stomping on her heart.

There are pictures in her mind, playing over and over in a slideshow designed for misery, and she can't breathe. She doesn't want to.

Luna doesn't want to breathe in a world where Matteo might not.

Words rain down on her. She hears none of them, can't get a hold on them, on their meaning as this fear, this one terrible fear, takes over and leaves no space in her world for anything else.

The last thing she sees is her dad, is Matteo's phone in his hand, is her own shaking hand reaching out and taking it.

Luna stares at it, feels her heart clenching in her chest.

Then, she runs.

She runs, her body takes control, she runs, and she doesn't know what her mom yells after her or how she manages to not get hit by a car. She doesn't know, she just runs.

///

Even the closest hospital is too far away. Out of breath before she made it halfway, she slows down with an anxious sickness in her stomach pit. She doesn't want to be too late, she can't be too late. She wants to run, because it's the only way to get to him.

She can't run anymore. Only walk, which gives Luna an awful lot of time to think, about nothing, about everything.

She thinks that she should give up on Matteo, should've done so ages ago. Sure, he awoke feelings she never experienced before, showed her new stars and entire galaxies in his smiles, in his kisses, in his love.

But too many times did he made her cry, too many times did he throw her into an ocean of despair and sadness and anger, too many times did he teach her the devastating pain of a broken heart.

She should give up on him. In the rapid beat of her heart and the hurried movements of her feet, though, she discovers a truth.

The truth.

She loves him.

Like he said, the heart always wins in the end. Luna loves him, and she knows it just like she knows she did her best to avoid that feeling, tried so hard. She tried to avoid Matteo himself, too. Convinced Simón not to interfere, no matter what he thought about Matteo's behavior or reasons or anything else that might've changed her mind. Told herself she had changed her mind about him one too many times, told herself there was no way she'd forgive him.