Cómo te pido

Based on the song and music video for "Cristina" by Sebastián Yatra, and some of my own experiences. I hope you enjoy this!

Word count: 5.8k

///

Entre tanta gente yo te vi llegar

Algo en el destino me hizo saludar

///

One day off. One single day of getting lost in the city, not found by anyone except himself. That's all he wants, craves, after weeks and weeks of being praised as someone who exists solely in the minds of the media and his fans.

One day, and he couldn't even get that.

It starts with some teenagers chilling on the staircase to the metro, asking for pics, and soon they'll be all over Instagram and a group of paparazzi and reporters will follow him – Matteo knows the deal. The business.

And frankly, he's tired of it.

///

The moment he steps into the bar, he wonders if this was the right decision. The air feels hot in his lungs, the smell of cigarettes and cheap beer burns in his nose, while his eyes struggle to find the barkeeper in the crowd blocking the counter. He pulls the hood of his sweatshirt deeper into his face before he slowly makes his way to the bar.

No one looks at him for more than just a second.

///

She's looking at him.

The stage light creates the illusion of a halo around her, and she's looking at him with a smile so bright and honest, he can't tear his gaze away from her. At first, he feared she recognized him, saw through his terrible disguise, but the longer he watches her, the more he relaxes. During his career, he's seen hundred versions of people spotting him and freaking out. That girl is not one of them.

So, he winks back at her.

///

Her voice sounds as sweet and golden as on the stage, like honey that's sticking to his soul instead of his fingers. She appears next to him out of nowhere, asking if the seat is taken as she already casually jumps on it. With a chuckle, he replies that he won't ask her to leave, and the moment she directs another smile at him, the burden of being a superstar whirls off his shoulders.

"Do you usually arrive only to see the last performance of the night?" she asks, head tilted. Her hair falls freely over her shoulder, a tangled mess that somehow frames her face perfectly.

Grimacing, he reaches for his drink. The wine still tastes like a grape took a piss in his glass, although that detail is forgotten the instant he figures out what to answer. "No, but usually, the last performance isn't worth paying attention to."

"You've never been here before."

"And you've never had a drink with someone as cool as me."

That makes her laugh. He feels pride rushing through his veins, like when his music makes someone happy or when his mom looks at him with tears in her eyes after watching a performance from him.

She leans closer. "Technically, I'm not having a drink right now."

The smile on his face never leaves, only deepens. "Then it's about time we change that."

///

At some point after midnight, long after his phone ran out of battery, the barkeeper releases a heavy sigh and asks them to leave. They're the only ones left in the entire room.