learning about loss

The summer after kindergarten Doris' mom died.it was the first loss aurora had ever experienced. She was close to her "great grandma " she couldn't understand it.  Lilliana took aurora up to the casket and explained to her that her great grandma's body was there but her soul was in heaven and that she was an angel ,so unfortunately we couldn't see her anymore until God took us to be am angel someday too. Little aurora didn't understand. Whenever she went back to Doris ' house she'd sit next to her great grandpa in her great grandma's chair . She always felt her,but she couldn't understand that at the time. She just knew she felt safe and loved sitting there. It broke everyone's heart. After summer aurora started school full time,going to first grade. Her teacher was a fiery red head who loved animals.  She loved little Aurora. She was advanced in reading more than the other kids. And she was obsessed with music and the little mermaid. Every letter Arizona read made her giggle. She was only in first grade and excelling in music and reading , and writing in a little mermaid diary . She was definitely Arizona made over. No matter if she raised her or not. It apparently couldn't be stopped.
   The summer after first grade little Auroras life changed, her great grandpa mourned so much over her great grandma that he died of a broken heart.  At the funeral, aurora remembered that her great grandma never came back. She cried over death for the first time in her whole life. She knew what death and loss were. So young. Arizona was broken hearted reading the letter. Those cute letters helped her stay sober. But that dark day made her more sad than she had been in a long long time.