Chapter 16

I turned up the volume when Kendrick Lamar's song Element began to play. I was with my mother and we were on our way to the mall to go dress shopping. Homecoming was next week and I had to look cute since I will be Michael's date.

If I gotta slap a pussy-ass nigga, I'mma make it look sexy
If I gotta go hard on a bitch, I'mma make it look sexy
I pull up, hop out, air out, made it look sexy
They won't take me out my element

I sang along but made sure to bleep out the curse words. I didn't need my mother to hit me for thinking I was grown enough to curse in front of her.

"You are in a great mood." My mother said taking a quick glance at me as she drove to the mall.

"What you mean? I'm always happy."

"Not lately, I noticed you were down and looked sad for a while. I was going to ask you what was wrong, but I was a teenager before so I knew you wasn't going to tell me your problems."

I looked at mom and was surprised she noticed a difference in my behavior. I was emotional at first but when Michael apologize for what happened at his house, my mood went from being sad to happy as hell. But my mom is right though, if she would have asked what was wrong I don't think I would have told her. I still haven't mentioned what my father told me to her.

"I was just feeling a bit sad about certain things that's all." I said trying to shrug it off.

"You sure? I told you, you can talk to me about whatever."

"Yea, I know." I leaned back in my seat and tried to focus my attention my back on the music. I know my mom wants to know everything about me, but I don't know if I'm ready to be open just yet.

"Oh, these are too cute!" My mother was going through the rack of dresses and was in awe of what she was finding

"Oh, these are too cute!" My mother was going through the rack of dresses and was in awe of what she was finding. "Lexi you need to try these two on, they are cute and will go perfect with your skin tone." She handed me two dresses, both were short and strapless but one was all gold with a bit of glitter to it while the other one was plain blue.

Because I didn't want to hurt her feelings and say that both dresses was ugly, I just grabbed them and held them.

"Let's look for a few more before I decide to try anything on."