Chapter 17

I watched my mother pour me a glass of wine as I ate on the fruit salad she made

I watched my mother pour me a glass of wine as I ate on the fruit salad she made. I had came over to catch up with her and also let her know about that granddaughter of hers. I know my mother will flip when I tell her about how Lexi tried to come at me.

"You know I was thinking you forgot about me. The only time I ever see you or talk to you is when you're dropping off and coming to get Sage or when you want me to babysit." She said sitting on the stool. We were in her kitchen enjoying our small brunch together.

"I know and I apologize. It's just been so much going on, but I promise that's going to change."

My mother waved me off, "Child, I'm just joking. I know you got things going on in your life. You're a wife, mother, and working woman so I expect you to be busy."

"Buut," she dragged, "A phone call or visit here and there wouldn't hurt." I told her she was right and grabbed my glass to drink some of my wine.

"But anyways what's been going on in the Carter's home?"

I shrugged my shoulders and bit into a strawberry, "Things have been fine. Shawn and I are doing great, Blue loves first grade, Sage is such a good baby and Lexi well she's being something else."

My mother sat her fork down and raised her eyebrow, "What you mean she's being something else? I know that grandchild of mine isn't acting out."

"Ma if only you knew" I said while shaking my head. "This girl has been acting so different lately and I don't know if it's the boy she's seeing or this new friend she has. Hell, it could be both getting in her ear and influencing her to act out."

"What's to this boy? I remember you telling me that you and Shawn agreed to let her date. But you also said Shawn didn't like him as well."

"Yea, Shawn doesn't like him at all. He claims he can see right through him because he used to be a teenage boy. But we didn't want to tell Lexi no to dating him because we didn't want her to go behind our backs and sneak around with him, but it's like either or didn't make a difference because her behavior and attitude has completely changed."

"That little girl ain't having sex, is she?" My mother asked making me want to throw up.

"Mom, please don't put that in my mind. I think I would seriously break down if I found out she was having sex."

My mother chuckled, "You would only feel how I felt when you came to me crying talking about you were pregnant by that knuckled head boy. Bey, I seriously wanted to hurt you for getting pregnant so young and not coming to me when you first began to have the urges to be sexually active, but I couldn't just be mad at you. I had parts in not giving you the sex talk and getting you protected so you wouldn't get pregnant so early on."

I always knew my mother felt guilty about me getting pregnant at 16, but I always had to remind her that I was the one who laid down and got knocked up so I had no one to blame but myself. Hell, I couldn't even blame Xavier.