Chapter 43

I sprinted to the nearest park in the neighborhood and sat down under an old elm tree, leaning my back up against the tree stump. I tilted my head back and rested it on the tree while I booked an Uber. Five minutes. That's how long the Uber would take. Five minutes was all the time that I had left in Virginia. I sighed a great sigh of relief for I was finally alone. Or so I thought.

"Callie! I've been looking everywhere for you!" A voice exclaimed as he sat down beside me.

"Go away, Ethan!" I demanded. I wasn't going to deal with this right now.

"No! I'm not just gonna leave you here. What happened back there between you and Maia?" He asked.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore. Please just go away." I said impatiently but he wasn't giving up anytime soon.

"Okay, fine. But just know that whatever happened back there, doesn't affect what we have going on between us." Ethan stated.

"And what exactly what do we have going on between us?" I asked.

"The kiss. You kissed me, I kissed you. I thought we were kind of a thing after that." Ethan shrugged.

"So me not talking to you for almost a month after it happened doesn't send a signal to you that we're maybe not a thing Ethan?" I asked in a smart tone.

"But I like you, Callie. Did that kiss not mean anything to you?" Ethan looked at me and narrowed his eyes.

"I like you too, Ethan. But with everything going on in my life now I don't have time for a relationship." I blatantly stated. 

"That's bullshit, Callie. If you liked me like you say you do, you would fight to have something with me. Is it because I'm not famous? Am I not good enough for you cause I don't have money?" I turned my head to look away from him and started to stand up when Ethan grabbed my arm. " Callie, tell me the truth!"

"Ethan..." I started.

"Don't lie to me, Callie!!"

"Ethan, you deserve more than what I am capable of giving you. That's why there can't be an us."

"I don't understand. What can't you give me?" Ethan's voice got quiet.

"Ethan you're in high school."

"So...what does that have to do with what you can't give me?" His voice cracked.

"So...you deserve to have a girlfriend that can go to your games and watch you play, a girl that you can have classes with or see in the hall everyday at school, a girl that you can have lunch with everyday and that can hang out when ever you want, a girl you can take to prom and homecoming. But most importantly, a girl that doesn't live on the other side of the country let alone on the other side of the world. I'm sorry Ethan but you need someone that you can be with all the time, not a long distance relationship right now." I answered.

"But I want you.." He said quietly.

"I want you too just not right now. We can't happen, Ethan. I'm sorry." My voice got quiet and I turned my head away from him. Just then, my Uber pulled up. I stood up and grabbed my bag and Ethan stood up with me. I started walking towards the Uber and Ethan followed. It was strange but I didn't care anymore cause I was leaving and hopefully staying away from this place for as long as possible. Ethan got to the car before me and opened the car door for me. I put bag in the car and took one last look at Ethan before Ethan kissed me. I pulled away after a couple of seconds. "Goodbye Ethan." I said as I got into the car.

"Have a nice life, Callie." Ethan said sadly as he closed the door and started walking away.

"To the airport, please." I said to the driver and immediately drove off towards the airport. The drive was about forty-five. I spent the entire time looking at instagram and twitter. News had spread about where I was and questions arose from the ashes as to why I was back in Virginia. I now dreaded what would be like at the airport in California and only hoped that the news of my flight back hadn't surfaced on the internet yet.