Kevin At Coates Pt.1

~November 9th, 11:18am~

Kevin was skeptical about Caine and Drake. He didn't want to push too far and not have a way out if he needed one, so he promised to just skim the edges of their character, see if they were safe to side with.

"What?"
"I just wanna know."
Kevin was asking Drake some questions, mostly to see if Drake was okay or not.
"Uh, I was actually born in Arizona but we moved here when I was like, 5."
"Wow, I actually didn't know that. I always thought you looked like a Nevada person."
"You?"
Kevin looked back at the study hall teacher, still asleep in his chair. Kids were talking casually, looking at their phones.
"D.C."
Drake looked surprised.
"Really? You're from across the country?"
"Yeah, I-"
"When did you move here? When you were a kid or something?"
"Two weeks ago."
Drake paused.
"What happened?" He said in his usually cold tone.
"My parents got divorced. My dad was a senator and he cheated on my mom which made her move and we had relatives here and we moved in with them until we could get a real house and then I got in a fight and was dumped here."
Drake didn't say anything for a bit.
"All in two weeks?"
"Yep."
"Jeez. Miss anyone?"
"Yeah I had girlfriend."
Drake looked dissapointed, but Kevin didn't notice. He continued with a chuckle, "she was such a bitch."
Drake smiled, "Then why would you date her?"
"Tits."
Drake let out a shrill laugh.
"Holy shit Kev I thought you were this tiny kid not a fuck boy."
"A little here a little there." Kevin smirked. A tiny glint of his old charm.

The bell rang, making the teacher almost jump out of his chair.

                            ~7:29~

"You are beyond lucky to have us as your dorm roomies." Caine was scrolling his phone on his bed as Kevin unpacked some clothes from his duffle bag. "Yeah." Kevin asked, "None of you snore right?"
Drake laughed.
"One time I mistook Caine for a lawnmower."
"I don't snore!"
"Ohmygod YES YOU DO."
Their conversation was just backround noise as Kevin assessed the room.
There were three beds in the somewhat large room. It was oddly shaped, like half of a hexagon. One bed was pressed to wall on the right, one to the left, and one in the center. Kevin got the center one.

"Just wait, Drake. Nobody sleeps on their first night. Kevin will tell, right Kev?"
"Huh?"
He had snapped out of his trance at the mention of this name.
"What do you mean nobody sleeps on their first night?"
Caine waved it aside. "I don't snore."
"You kinda do."
"Drake shut up!"

                             ~~

Caine was right. Kevin didn't sleep that night. He was thinking of Sam, those kids back at Perdido Beach. His mom, his aunt and uncle, his cousin Quinn, and his stupid fedora.

Sam.

There was something about him that made Kevin like him, even though they hadn't known eachother that much.

Quinn.

That boy was a mess. The clothes he wore could be taken as no less than a costume. He wasn't Kevins favorite.

Caine.

Caine was intimidating. He looked like he was about to go to a business meeting with the FBI yet also looked like he was ready to tear you apart. It wasn't a comforting look.

Drake.

Did Kevin know why he had taken a liking to Drake? No. Drake wasn't someone you liked, or even hung around with. He was someone you avoided at all costs.

So why hadn't Kevin?

Mainly because when Kevin needed someone, he looked at them as a vision of safety. Caine didn't have that but maybe Drake did. He had started talking with Caine but the way he looked at Kevin, the way he spoke, it was too much. Sam had the opposite affect. He was gentle, sorta shy, your average kid who's bad at making friends. But Drake was just in between. He didn't have Caine's charismatic charm or Sam's gentleness, but he had a sort of trust to him. Kevin was confused as to why he hadn't picked a nicer group of kids, but maybe it was his old personality coming back.

He remembered how the old Kevin would do so many bad things with his sketchy friends, but how can the son of the senator and get in trouble? He remembered moving from girl to girl, always a charmer. He remembered late night rendezvous with his friends, lighting sparklers and dancing to music wherever they wanted.

He missed that so badly.

And that's probably why he chose Caine and Drake. They were a perfect recreation of his old friends. Caine was a perfect model of what Kevin wanted to be, and Drake was a perfect model of what Kevin wanted.

                    ~The Next Day~

One minute the teacher was droning on about the order of operations, the next minute they were gone.

And that's where our story begins.