AU: The Roomate

He had arrived early in an attempt to not overcrowd the small dorm and give his roommate some space to set up.

Sam Temple was nineteen. The only difference was that the Fayz, the Fallout Alley Youth Zone, had never happened.

Sam's biggest problem currently was not being an alcoholic or trying to forget disturbing memories, it was his potential student debt and worrying if his roommate would like him. He had no idea that the person coming, in another life, was his arch enemy.

"You get here early?"

The voice was oily smooth and deep. The man standing in the doorway not only had a face to match the voice, but blond stubble and an overgrown undercut. His eyes were rimmed black and his grey tee shirt had the sleeves cut off.

A real hardass. Sam thought. Wonder if the personality matches the looks.

"Uh, yeah. Figured it would create less hassle."

"Hm." The blond looked around, eyeing the two windows that gave a perfect view of the campus and the bunks on the far wall.

"I didn't set up the beds yet," Sam said, "figured you would want to pick which one you w-"

"Bottom."

"Uh, yeah. Yeah sure okay I'll just..."

Drake had already set his duffle bag down on the bed when he had began eyeing Sam.

The kid had a fresh cut and an even fresher face. Obviously not a partier, I mean what kind of normal freshman in college would wear a neatly ironed shirt and blue jeans? Drake let a smile escape his lips.

"What?"

"You are..." he paused, then chuckled. "Something else."

Sam cocked his head to the side and asked, "How?"

Drake, with black makeup lining his eyes and obviously hungover, looked up at the boy. He hadn't seen someone who had actually taken care of themselves in a while. Possibly because he grew up where no one really did.

"Oh wait, wait wait wait wait wait... You're one of those preppy rich kids right?"

Sam laughed. "No, no I actually probably grew up more poor than you did," he chuckled to lighten the mood. "No my family's not rich."

"Where'd you grow up?"

"Perdido Beach."

The blond looked surprised.

"Couple miles away. North Almeda."

"Huh. Um... Can I ask," he paused, making a hand gesture to his eye.

"Oh this?" Drake pointed to his eyes, rimmed with black. "Oakland thing."

"And you still do that? Up in Santa Rosa?"

"Sure. Yeah." His phone rang.
"One second."

Sam watched as the boy, dressed in black with several tattoos on his arms and metal industrial piercings walked out of the door. He wondered why people would want to look like that.

Suddenly the boy was back.

"There's a party at Alpha. Yuh know, east side of campus."

"Okay."

The blond raised his eyebrows. "Well?"

"Oh! You're asking me to come."

"Yyyep."

"Um, yeah. Yeah sure I will so do I just go like this or do I change or- "

"Do you I have anything less preppy?"

"First of all, not preppy. Second of all, yes."

~

Sam and his new roommate arrived at the fraternity house. It was big and had greek letters Sam didn't recognize above the door.

Drake had his hand on the knob of the door. "You coming?"

Sam hopped up the steps as Drake went in, instantly recognized someone, and left Sam to find a person to talk to.

"Well, that was fun," Sam said to himself. It was then that he saw a girl, obviously here because her friends were, on her phone across the room. Sam managed to ignore the crappy rap music blasting and the seemingly endless stream of people to finally reach the blonde girl he thought was attractive.

But before he talked to her he looked over one last time, seeing his roommate talking with a boy his age. Dark brown hair, handsome face, charming. The conversation his roommate and the boy seemed to be having was a bit flirtatious, not the type Sam thought the blond to be but hey, it wasn't his business.

And finally, Sam squeezed his way past three people and got the blondes attention.

She looked up from her phone. "Hey."

"Hey! I can barely hear you over the music!"

"Sorry- Hey!"

"I feel like we've met before!"

"What?"

"I said I feel like we've met before!"

"Oh same! You have a familiar face!"

"Gee, maybe we just met in another life!"

"Yeah," she said. And even though the music was blasting, Sam heard her loud and clear when she said, "We've definitely met in another life."

They smiled, they danced. They told jokes and met each other like kids should. They did not meet at the beginning of a disaster or have to live through it together.

Sam had no idea the events that played out in the alternate universe that made his name, his roommates name, and his new girlfriends name world famous, ever happened.

He would live without those memories in this life.