40

Kristie puts her luggage down. 

Her father, Bob, is trying his best to help Kassey and her to get their luggage to the third floor. Melissa, the Mewis mom, and Sam are also here to help. Their apartment is located in the heart of Washington DC, where they are set to start their pro careers the next morning. 

Her parents have met her new girlfriend in the morning, when Kassey had to pick them up in the airport by herself because Kristie had to deal with contract signing. Since it's their first moment alone, as the Mewis family is downstairs taking care of the furniture that got there this afternoon, Kristie approaches her girlfriend. 

Kassey, who is putting some music on because it's going to be a very long ride getting all the furniture ready before the next morning, turns around, and smiles at her girlfriend. When she wraps her arms around Kristie's waist, the middy asks :

"They didn't kill you ?"

That makes Kassey smirk. 

"No, they-"

"Oh no, did my dad do his usual 'you better watch out because I'm here' speech ?" she asks, petrified. 

Last time she had a boyfriend, her dad hated him the minute he put a foot on the family's house. No need to say he never put the other foot inside. 

Kassey shakes her head. 

"He told me that I had to protect his baby." she says. 

That makes Kristie emotional.

"He did ?"

"Yes"

"That's the first time he doesn't hate the person I'm dating." she lets out, thoughtful. 

Kassey pulls her closer, pecking her lips with softness, before looking at her, biting her lips. 

"Babe, you just haven't found the right person, that's why"

Kristie bursts into laughter.

"Modesty I see" she sarcastically lets out, rolling her eyes. 

That makes Kassey smirk, before getting back to prepare the kitchen with the stuff they both brought to the apartment. 

She is already in 'moving in' mode. 

"You're hot when you're stressed out" Kristie casually says. 

Kassey throws her a look. 

"Babe, I don't want your parents to have a bad first though of me : I've already got your dad and sister's approval, but not your mom's for now."

"Are you kidding ?" Kristie asks, laughing her ass off. "She love you the minute I sent her a picture of you. She said she liked your bun."

"My messy bun ?" Kassey asks, frowning. "I thought everybody found it ridiculous ?"

"By everybody you mean me ?" 

The defender starts laughing.

She quickly grabs Kristie's cheeks with her hands, before bringing their foreheads together. She then smirks. 

"I know you love it" she whispers, kissing Kristie's lips. "You're just jealous because yours are not as good as mine."

"Shut up."

Kassey pecks her lips one more time, before they separate. 

"Now, can you please help me organizing our new home ?" the defender asks, flashing her girlfriend a smile. 

Kristie smiles as well. 

Here's to new beginnings.

*

Megan stands there, tears in her eyes.

In the memory of Kailen Sheridan

May your soul rest in peace where it belongs

She smiles : wherever Kailen is now, she knows she's proud of her. She knows she's not angry because she started her life over and fell in love : she still owns a part of her heart, and that is forever.

She puts the dark roses on the grave, because walking away : Boston awaits.

*

The following year, Mallory Pugh and Jane Campbell became co-captains of the UCLA women's soccer team, while Jessie Fleming and Andi Sullivan became Stanford's. 

Mal and Jessie made their relationship official later this year, after the medias got interested in both girls as they earned their first call-ups to the under twenty national team, along with their teammates Rose, Andi, Jane and Rose. 

Kristie and Kassey made their way to the Spirit's starting eleven, enjoying finding their old teammates, Kelsey Wys and Shelina Zadorsky, back. 

The Portland team, with the precious new additions - including Lindsey, Sonnett, Kiedrzynek and Amandine Henry - went to win the championship shield, with Allie and Tobin combining the most goals in the team with 10 each. 

Meanwhile, in Chicago, Julie and Christen have become very close friends, both missing their girlfriends who are either in Houston or in Seattle. While Zach and Julie are sharing the custody of their daughter, the two girls got their first call-up to the senior national team, and Julie got to play alongside to Becky again. 

Speaking of which, the former Bruins captain is busy managing her married life and her mentor-ship : indeed,she is trying to keep contact with Gibby, helping her getting better before joining Kansas City. The club agreed on signing her early so that she'd be assured to join the team during the Draft. 

Steph, Abby and Lucy are currently in the Starting XI of Manchester City, soon joined by Carli Lloyd, who now has the mission to take care of the young couple. The three of them got called up to their national teams - USA and England - following the win of the Spring Series and the FAWSL League, securing a spot for the Champions League. 

Life goes on for the rookies in the NWSL, and this time the sun is shining for real.