chapter 18

Disclaimer: I do not own HighSchool DxD.

Chapter XVIII – A New Power Emerges

In another part of the Underworld was the base of operations for the Fallen Angels. You see, once, the Underworld was primarily controlled by the devils and one certain Death God.

But when Angels started falling from God's grace and abandoned his teachings, they needed a place to stay. For a while, they wandered the world as they were still few in numbers, but soon their numbers grew and grew until they had to find a new place to call home.

How it was managed was a mystery but the Fallen Angels now held a considerable part of the Underworld.

Even though it was one of the three major powers, the Fallen Angels, or the Grigori Organization, was the smallest out of the three.

When the Great War broke out, they were the first to retreat because they suffered the most casualties in relation to their population and the leaders decided to leave the war all together or risk being wiped out.

A wise decision if you're the weakest in a three-way war.

Currently, the Fallen Angels were mostly neutral now. Their Governor General, Azazel, did not want another war to ignite and that sentiment was shared by most of his subordinates.

Most, but not all.

As much as he tried, he and the other leaders could not stop the small skirmishes between the Three Factions. It was to be expected since some wounds have yet to be healed.

Now, though, Azazel was focused on the Sacred Gears. He was fascinated with them and had a little bit of an unhealthy obsession because of them.

Unhealthy obsession it may be, it was far better than warmongering and it keeps everyone busy.

And right now, the status quo was left undisturbed...until now.

In one of the many intelligence centers of their headquarters, a lone Fallen Angel had received a new message from one of their informants in Devil Territory and it was labelled as Code Black.

The Fallen Angel narrowed his eyes at what he has received. Code Black meant that whatever was in this message was deemed extremely urgent and contained very important information.

Curiosity getting the better of him and as is his job to verify it, the Fallen Angel opened the message to see what it was. The moment he saw its contents, his eyes grew as wide as saucer plates in shock.

He shook his head and rubbed his eyes, thinking that his senses were tricking him or he was finally losing his mind. 'Okay, let's look at it again. It has to be a mistake, a joke.' He said to himself with a chuckle. 'I mean, it can't be real. No fucking way.'

With his confidence reassured that this was just a joke, he viewed it again. His reassurance was shattered when he saw the same thing again and again.

His hands trembled as a bead of sweat ran down the side of his face. "Impossible...I have to get this to the Governor General!"

With that, he grabbed the information and bolted for HQ. He didn't care if his coworkers were looking at him oddly and shouting for him to come back, this was extremely important and the top brass needed to see this.

"So, what's there to report this week, boys?" A tall man in his mid to late twenties with an average build, black hair with golden bangs, and a black goatee asked. This was Governor General Azazel, leader of the Fallen Angels.