chapter 8

Disclaimer: I do not own HighSchool DxD

Chapter VIII – Just Another Day

In a café near the Mandarin Oriental, the Sembikiya, Raynare was sitting comfortably in one of the tables outside of the café.

The young woman was wearing a simple blouse with jeans and high heels. She wore a coat and had a pair of women's sunglasses on. And Raynare was getting her fair share of unwanted attention because of her beauty.

Despite all that, she was just enjoying the fresh breeze coming in from the morning air while also sipping on a nice hot cup of coffee.

While it was true that Raynare did not like humans, but even she couldn't deny that they make good coffee and cuisines. It was actually refreshing to taste for the fallen angel.

But she was not here to just admire the scenery or even for the cup of coffee. No, she was here because of one reason only.

Kyuren.

That name made the fallen angel seethe with anger, but also shirk in fright. A human that possessed an incredible amount of strength and one of the most masterful hand to hand combatant Raynare has ever seen and she had seen her fair share of fighters.

Two days ago, she had come to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel looking for him. Raynare had intended for the two of them to have a little talk because...well...he was actually good looking and the fallen angel thought that it couldn't hurt to know his name.

That Kyuren was actually quite charming, that much Raynare would admit. She tried to suppress a small blush coming along; Raynare wasn't going to give him the satisfaction.

Well, despite all that, their chat was mostly civil until she tried to intimidate him to not interfere in what she was planning. Kyuren essentially caught her threats and threw it right back at her face.

Raynare didn't know how, but he somehow correctly guessed what she was truly after. The fallen angel wasn't after Issei Hyoudou, but another Sacred Gear wielder.

It came as a shock to her because the raven haired boy had seen right through her and basically laid out her intentions on the table.

Then Kyuren took it one step further and even told Raynare that she was doing this for recognition. She was completely baffled. How can a mere human see right through a fallen angel?!

The fallen angel furrowed her brow, clenching her hands in agitation. Yes, Raynare was doing this because she wanted recognition, not from just the entire organization, but from Azazel.

Azazel was Raynare's idol and she was fiercely loyal to him. The young fallen angel would do anything for him and wanted to prove herself in his eyes.

Coming to this country wasn't even her idea in the first place, Azazel ordered her along with Karwarner, Donasheek, and Mittlet to keep an eye on Issei and report back anything they deemed suspicious or interesting.

Well, Raynare did what she was ordered for a while but then she thought why not just give Azazel what he wanted? Give him a Sacred Gear that he would be certainly to have and recognize Raynare as just not another fallen angel subordinate.

'I guess that was what I wanted after all...to step out of the shadows and be recognized.' The fallen angel muttered to herself somberly. But she couldn't be blamed for trying to strike out on her own.

Back when she was in the organization, Raynare was often ridiculed by other fallen angels because she was weak compared to most. And she followed Azazel like a lost puppy begging for attention.