Chapter 19: Tears

Tom stood there. He watched Wendy run away. His heart pounding in his cheats, his mind racing. She was out of sight. Tom turned and saw them staring at him.

"Dear boy, I'm so sorry." She puts her hand on his arm. "I didn't want that to happen." Tom just looked at Francis who was shifting uncomfortable on his feet. "How long?" Tom his eyes were like steel. He was trembling with anger."We found out shortly after she arrived." Francis didn't dare to look at Tom.

"How far is she, is it really mine?" Francis looked surprised, hurt and angry at that question. "Is it yours? How dare you even ask that? She's around ten weeks so do the mat!" Francis shouted. "Wendy is not some slut." He added out of breath. "I know!" Desperation and the hurt written over Tom's face. "But she didn't tell me! Why? Now tears started to roll down his cheeks. "Wendy doesn't like lairs? So why lying to me? An about something like that!" Tom went to sit down on the couch burring his face in his hands. Francis calmed down. "She didn't lie, she was pretty much in shock. She wanted to tell you when you last had dinner..." Tom looked up at that "When the young couple came to ask an autograph? " "Yes."

Wendy came home, out of breath from running. Her eyes were red from crying . 'This is not how I wanted to tell Tom, why did his mother have to be so observant and tell me that.' She sighed. She kept seeing Tom's face, the way he looked when he heard. It breaks her heart.

She woke up at the sound of her phone. Wendy looked at the clock it was eight in the morning. "Hallo?" "Sorry Wendy, where you still sleeping? A soft voice asked. "Victor? What a surprise." "Wendy..." He fell silence. Her heart started to race. "Victor, what happened?" She sat up straight in her bed. "Victor?!" She began to panic. "It's dad Wendy." Victor tried to suppressed a sob. "He came in last night. He had a heart attack." The sob escaped "His dead, Wendy." Victor started crying, as did Wendy. "What?" Was all she managed to say. "But" She couldn't think "Thank you Victor, I'll come home."

Wendy sat in her bed, staring at nothing. She felt numb. The relationship with her dad was rocky to say the least but she loved him a lot. After forty minutes staring she got up and started to pack. She has to go to Bruges, she can't stay here. While packing she realised she had to work tomorrow.

"Francis, I'm packing bag, going to Bruges, can't work." She texted him quickly she still needed to shower and buy a ticket.

Her mind was foggy, she kept crying. She didn't even realise how insane her massage to Francis sounded. Wendy dragged the suitcase downstairs. When suddenly She heard the door unlock.

Francis and Tom came rushing in.

When Francis read the text Wendy send him. He started to panic. He knew Wendy could be emotional, but she was always rational. Her text to him was alarming. He called Tom.

"Wendy you can't leave." Tom was out of breath from running. She shook her head, she can't do this not now. "Yes, please I have to go home." "I'm sorry about yesterday." He said looking at her coming closer. "I don't care about yesterday!" She shouted, Tom froze. Francis looked at her. She was crying and very upset. He know she would be after yesterday. But angry? He did not expect that. "Wendy what's going on?!" He was worried about his friend, looking like that. She went to sit on the stairs. "It's my dad." She managed to say between two sobs. "Walter?" Francis whispered and came to sit next to her. "He's dead, he died last night of a heart attack."

Francis looked at Wendy. Not sure if he heard correctly "Dead?" Was all he could say. Francis liked Walter, when they first met. It was the day his parents found out he was gay. That was the worst day of his life. They didn't take it well. Wendy's mother was on holiday so Francis went to her house.

He was crying at their kitchen table. Wendy and Victor trying to comfort him. When her dad came in he looked at Francis. They told their father what happened. "Wendy told me a lot about you Francis. You're a good guy. You can stay here, till they had a chance to process. You're always welcome."

It wasn't much but for Francis, it meant a lot.

"I'll come with you." "No" "Why not?" "My father never cared about you being gay but my mother? I can handle her, but I don't want to hear her homophobic comments on my dad's funeral. It will turn in a fight. I don't want to fight." "Okay"

Wendy looked at Tom and the clock. She sighed. "I can take the euro star, later. You want to talk?" She looked at Tom. Wendy felt suddenly calmer. She knew she had to talk to Tom soon, so she could just do it now.

They sat in the kitchen. Francis made coffee and was cooking them lunch. "I'm sorry Tom," Wendy said again. "No, it's fine really, I get it." Tom held her hand. "It's just, last time everything went wrong and I was a complete mess." They locked eyes. Tom gave her a reassuring smile, one that said. I'm here to stay. "What if I lose this baby? I don't think I could handle that." Her eyes started to water. "I'm here for both of you. This is not like last time Wendy. I lo..., I care about you." "I care about you to Tom."

Wendy took her seat in the train. She didn't look forward to the next two weeks. She had to keep the baby a secret, had to try to stay calm and friendly around her mother and sister. She took a deep breath. Wendy held a photo in her hand of her dad and she when she was around eight years old. It was one of her favourites.

"She has to go, Walter She must learn how to ride." Maria pointed her finger at Wendy while talking at her husband. "All our children have to, our social status demands it." At first little Wendy was scared of the horses but it didn't last long. When she sat on one of the them she felt free and like a princess. She was very good at it to.
When her father came to one of the lessons and saw his baby girl. He felt happy. For an eight year old Wendy was often silent and she didn't play like other children of her age. So when Walter saw her having fun. He made up his mind. Victor and Gina had both their own hoses but they had to wait till they where ten to get one. So when Walter gave his eight year old daughter a chestnut horse. His wife was angry at him. But he didn't care. She was happy. When Wendy was ten she fell of her horse. Gina scared Brownie, so he throw Wendy off. When the manege called her mother to tell her about the accident she simply said they had to call an ambulance. When Walter heard the news he ran out of court, leaving his partner to defend the client's case. He sat by Wendy her bed, singing her favourite lullaby.

Wendy thought back, she had a lot of fond memories about her father. He thought she didn't love him, that it was him who disappointed her. But she did. She remembered him always being there when she was sick. Or the time when he came to pick her up from piano lessons and two weeks later there was a brand new piano in the parlour. How he told his wife that if she wanted to go to cookery school she can. She remembered the look on his face when she tried on wedding dresses and the look on his face when he sat next to her when she was giving birth, how he looked at the little boy he held in his arms his eyes full of love.

She tried to think of a fond memory of her mother. But she couldn't think of one.

Victor, Maut and Louise greeted her in the train station. There were no happy hallo's. Just four siblings looking at one another, grieving.