Chapter 13: Hanging out

Wendy Just got dressed when she heard a knock on her door.

"Good morning friend." Tom greeted her with a smile. He stepped inside without an invitation. Wendy just stood by the door looking puzzled. Tom laughed "These are for you." He gave her a beautiful bouquet flowers. Wendy excepted them. Still looking puzzled.

"You're not a morning person are you?" Tom still smiled. Wendy shook her head. "I mean, I'm. What are you doing here Tom?" " I'm visiting my weird Belgian friend." That made Wendy laugh. "I'm sorry I wasn't expecting anyone." Well seeing you just moved in." He said while looking at the boxes on the floor. "Nice house." He looked around. "Well that's a nice instrument." Tom let out a soft whistle "You play?" Wendy asked while looking for a vase. "I play guitar, but no piano." He let his hand slide over the smooth surface of the instrument. "You like playing?" "It's not only an interior statement" She chuckled.

Tom looked at her tilting his head. "i played a lot when I was a little girl. I took lessons. My parents had an even nicer instrument at their house." " Would you like to play me something?" He asked . "Not to day I won't." "Some other time then. Have you seen London yet? "No I've been here two days but I haven't walked around yet". She said "Well, Today is your lucky day. You showed me Bruges, let me show you London." He turned away from the piano. Looking happy and enthusiastic. "You're sure?" "Positive, get your things."

A little while later they were walking together in the big city. "What would you like to see?" He asked clapping his hands together. "I want the grand tour, really touristy." She smiled. "One touristy tour for my friend, coming up." He puts his hand on her lower back while leading the way.

They looked at all the important buildings. While talking about anything ells but the history.

"So exited for the new job?" Tom asked "Yes, although I'm a little mad that Francis forbid me to start working today." "Why is that?" "It's al lot of chocolate to make for the event." "I'm really excited to finally eat your chocolate" Wendy looked at Tom he really seemed to look forward to it. She had to laugh about that. "What's so funny?" He looked a little insulted "Just everyone I've met wants my chocolate!" "It seems to be very good chocolate." Was his simple replay.

They walked further in London, Tom sometimes stopping to tell an important detail or pointing something out. "So you like the house?" Tom asked while they were drinking coffee and eating dinner. "Yes, I can't believe it's mine." Her eyes sparkled "How did you end up in a house like that?" Tom asked while putting his fork in his mouth. "Mm' Wendy swallowed her food. "My father gave it to me." "Your father?" Tom was surprised. Francis told him about her parents. Nothing to good. "My dad's okay really, It's my mom I can't stand."

"Francis told me your parents are getting a divorce." Tom looked her in the eyes, trying to see her reaction. "He told you that?" She wasn't surprised but still."Yes, my dad made my mother sign the papers without knowing what they were." She smiled a little, that woman should really learn to read something first. "You're not upset about ir?" He asked surprised "Why would I? they can do what thy want, in fact I'm happy dad finally did it."You're really serious?" Tom could still not believe it.

She smiled "I'm divorced too remember? It's better to let go then to hold on. Mom didn't want to let go, dad, for some reason held on. But why? He wasn't happy, he hasn't been in a long time. So I'm happy he did it. We all are." Tom looked at his plate. "Tom?" Wendy said softly. "My parents divorced when I was still a child, It was difficult for me." He almost whispered it. "I'm sorry Tom." Wendy said sympathetically, while putting her hand on his. "You must think it strange or weird that I feel happy about it." Tom looked at her hand on his. "But Tom, I'm older then you were, I could see their marriage was trap." "But if he held on so long why did he let go?" He asked. He looked in her eyes. She saw a lot of conflicting emotions in his. It made her feel sad.

"It was what happed at the family dinner." She sighed, still holding his hand. "What happened?" She didn't really want to tell him. But she couldn't resist. "My sister and Danny are not only getting married, they are also having a baby." Wendy sighed again. "Wait?" Tom said his eyes growing big. "isn't Danny the name of your..." "My ex husband?" She finished "I'm sure Francis told you that." She smiled."Maybe he did, I'm confused." He said looking intently at Wendy. "Well my mother was all happy and told my father how that baby would e their first grandchild" Tom's facial expression changed from being confused into anger quickly. "But you.." "Yes, me" She sighed again turning the hand she had on Tom's and touched her tattoo.

"You're mother doesn't deserve such an amazing daughter." He couldn't keep the anger from his voice. He couldn't help it, he touched her tattoo, looking at her. Wendy looked at his hand resting on Angel, feeling at ease, save even. "That's how she is, how she always has been. I'm a disappointment to her." "But your amazing!" Wendy gave a little chuckle. " Thank you Tom, but in her eyes I'm not and that's okay." "How can you even say such a thing!" Tom couldn't understand how she just excepted this. Hell he couldn't even believe it. His mother is one of the most important people in his life. "That's life." Was all she said.

They finished their meal. Tom walked her back to her house. Both not saying much.

"Goodnight Tom. I really had a nice day." Wendy said while looking for her keys. "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. " He smiled. "I had good company." She smiled back. Wendy opened her door. "We should hang out again." Tom said "I would love that too, goodnight Tom." "Wendy?" "Yes?" "You are amazing don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Wendy smiled "Than you Tom." Wendy closed the door.

She put her things away and walked over to the piano. She sat there, letting her fingers touch the keys lightly. She took a deep breath and started to play a simple song. It was the lullaby her dad used to sing to her as a child whenever she felt sad before going to bed.