chapter - 10

I sneaked a peek at the outside situation from backstage through the curtain. There were people all over, dressed in smart-casuals, grinning, talking, and shaking hands. Media people were ready with their cameras sitting in the front rows.

"Oh...god," words slipped out of my mouth horrifyingly.

I could feel my pulse pounding in my temples and my hands began sweating. Why Andrew has to be sick? Can't he fall sick after this press conference...Damn it!

Stay calm...stay calm. I chanted this mantra over and over again, slowly pacing and biting on my nails. I was afraid if I kept biting at this speed. I will have no more nails left to chew. I need to try some distraction therapy. I sat on the chair, thinking hard for something. At the same time I was relieved to sit because between the heels and my legs shaking I was afraid I'll trip. Bad day to wear high heels...I guess.

This would be my first time being emcee, of such a professional event. where I can't afford to have any mistakes. I had to speak without looking at the script and without stuttering. I had mugged up this script for like 100th time now, still I couldn't speak it correctly word by word.

Taking a deep calming breath I decided to run through the script without looking at it. But as soon as I began, the words just wouldn't come out of my mouth correctly. I tried to slow down, and that just made me sound worse. Damn it!

"All the best," Steve said striding inside the backstage. Ah, finally, someone is here to distract me.

" Don't say it," I murmured standing up.

His brows furrowed, "Why?"

" Because I am freaking out that's why," I replied brushing off my sweaty hand on my skirt to get rid of the sweat.

" Oh come on, It's just a few lines you can easily say that...Not a big deal"

I shoot him a glare and he immediately regreted what he said. " Say that one more time and you are dead" I retorted.

" I am sorry," he sheepishly smiles scratching his neck. " But you know what?... You are gonna rock it, I knew this," He hugged me warmly.

" Thanks, Steve," I smiled pulling away. I was so grateful that Steve was here. His presence actually helped me to distract from my anxiety.

" Oh, Shit!" He spat out looking at his wrist watch. His eyes widened in horror as if he realized something important he has forgotten to do.

" What?"

" I forgot to... shit...I got to go Somya,"

"No please! are you gonna leave me all by myself? What kind of friend you are?"

I tried to make a puppy face but that doesn't seem to work on him, because my fearful expression was plastered on my face.

He sighed "Listen... you are gonna be fine. I know it. If it wasn't for some urgency, I would have stayed here...Don't worry, I'll ask Anna to be here...Okay"

" Okay," I agreed, though reluctantly.

" That's my girl," he said and raised his hand to ruffle my hand.

" Stop it," I chuckled, yanking his hand away.

He laughed and turned on his heel to left.

I sat on the couch staring at the paper in my hand. Once again I tried to cram the script but the words seemed to went out of my brain. 'shit! shit! shit!' I groaned in frustration, clutching my shivering hand together. Stupid Richard!

Relax, relax, I told myself. Just relax. I closed my eyes, threw my head back and started taking deep breaths.

But I failed miserably to relax as tears started to well up in my eyes. I am so dead. I am gonna make fool out of myself. Richard is going to kill me. All these thoughts started to tap dance in my head, banging me with their feet. My anxiety was getting all over me. 'That's it Somya...stop thinking,' My inner goddess screamed at me. I desperately looked around for something or someone for distraction.