Chapter 7

The atmosphere in the car was pure pressure.

In the backseat Dan was trying his hardest not to panic or look too scared, although he was almost fainting inside.

He was staring in turns his hands and out the car window, there was the start of a blizzard going on.

His brother was keeping the whole time a sharp eye on him and also small talked between longer or shorter pauses with Niall and his mum.

In the front, Niall and his mum Trina tried their best to make things even a little easier for the two with genuine small talk, with only Aldo answering or talking back.

Dan was relieved no one forced him to anything. Niall's mum seemed very nice already and he hadn't expected anything else, but he was still nervous.

He hadn't been in a car with people, other than the family car and his family, in years. He felt trapped, claustrophobic, his breathing was difficult and he fidgeted his linked fingers inside his jacket sleeves.

If the car wasn't driving, he would have backed away already.

Aldo had insisted on making a deal with him, that if it would become too much for him and he needed a break, he would nudge his arm. Then Aldo would tell Trina to stop the car as soon as possible.

But so far Dan was doing well under the circumstances.

The drive wasn't too long, only just under ten minutes. But it felt much longer to Dan.

He made it though, because eventually Trina said they were home.

Niall and his family lived in a slightly bigger house, light brownish coloured with an underground cellar and an own yard.

It was in a somewhat calm but close neighbourhood and in a walking distance to the centre of the city.

Meeting Niall's mum and the drive was hard, but now and tomorrow things would get even harder. New place, more new people.

Trina parked the car in the garage and switched the engine off.

"Here we are, boys" she said with her bright, casual smile. "Take your time, Niall and I will take your things and go inside already."

She and Niall got out of the car, took the boys' two suitcases from the boot and left them, giving Dan a moment to have a break.

"You okay?" Aldo asked his brother, who had his eyes fixed on his hands on his lap.

"No, but that doesn't matter" Dan mumbled and opened his seat belt, with shaky hands. "Let's g-go."

"Let's just try and calm down first, shall we?" Aldo stopped him just before he was about to open the car door. "There's no hurry, bro, let's take a second or two."

After almost a minute, the brothers got out of the car and made their way to the house.

Dan had wanted to visit here many times, and before the accident he almost had but there was always some reason why he didn't. Aldo had been here many times before, of course.

It was strange to think they would live here now. At least for now, until something else was settled on.

He just hoped this wouldn't be too much for Dan. He saw and knew very well the mind battle his brother was having right now.

The front door of the house had been left unlocked for the boys.

Aldo had asked if there could be only Niall and his mum first, so it would be even slightly easier for Dan to come in. So Niall's dad, brother and sister had gone to Trina's parents' place for one night, who lived in the same city.