Chapter 30

As the front door closed after, it sounded to Dan like the loud boom of the gunshot and he as if felt the tingles in his leg.

It was all in his mind, but seeing a face from the accident brought it all to him too clearly and he felt like not able to breathe, all the same feelings from those moments.

This Logan was one from the good gang, but still he was one of them.

He backed on the couch further to the corner away, feeling cornered and threatened, but bumped into someone and froze.

It was only Jared that was next to him, everyone else had already gone to meet Naomi's new boyfriend. Dan kept his eyes on the man even if he wanted to look away but had to see what he was doing.

Logan noticed, and recognised, Dan too and was just as shocked to see him, but was soon welcomed by the family so it saved him.

It was a few years ago, the older guy hadn't changed at all and Dan had just grown a bit but still recognisable.

"Dan?" Jared frowned at his alarmed expression and reaction, but then realised something was wrong with him staring at Naomi's new boy like that. "You can go upstairs if you need to, it's okay" he assured with a kind smile, but Dan kept staring with a frozen gaze and began to shiver. He hadn't been like this for a while, but never this bad, even with him. "Can I help you?"

It took a while but Dan nodded, he didn't want to move or be left alone.

Slowly, Jared put his hand on his shoulder, but he flinched instinctively.

"Shh, nobody or nothing will hurt you, I promise" Jared said quietly, turning him so he wasn't looking to the kitchen. He didn't know what to say right, as unaware of what was going on.

Dan took a deep breath and nodded, letting him take him upstairs. It wasn't okay, but by now he trusted Jared and was used to him enough.

Nothing was said until Dan was sat on his bed, safe in their room. Jared wasn't sure if he should go or stay, he didn't look too good at the moment.

"Well, I'll just go back -" he awkwardly started to the door, but stopped when Dan grabbed his arm. "Do you want me to stay?"

"P-please" Dan whispered shakily, dreading to be left alone. He knew he was safe here from him or them, who knows, but not from his own mind.

"Of course" Jared relaxed, knowing he could stay like he wanted to. He sat down next to him. "Just so you know, you can tell me what happened just now. I'm worried, is something wrong with that guy, or -" he trailed off, noticing a tear drop on his cheek. "Hey, breathe, it's okay. I'm sorry, take your time. You don't have to, but I'll always listen. I'm here."

...

Read the full chapter in www.patreon.com/xelaneleh (link in my bio)

...

Dan was just gathering plates from the table, when he heard water run quickly and splashing hard against the sink and a low, long grunt.

He jumped, but quickly noticed it was just Jared at the sink.

"Fucking great" Jared grunted and was cursing more under his breath, his back still facing Dan but he was a little further from the sink. "I hate dishes."

Dan went next to him and put the dirty plates in the sink, and saw what the fuss was about.

Jared had turned on the water tap too much and the water had splashed hard against the already set dishes and also himself.

There was dish soap and more water stained on his shirt and jeans and less but some on his face and hair, too. It was possible, for him.

Maybe it was because he was so tired or maybe he was getting enough used to him, but Dan had to bite his lip not to burst out laughing.

Jared caught that, his face was too expressive.

"Oh please, don't hold back on my account" he muttered indignantly, turning the tap now much more carefully to wash his hands.

Dan turned around to get the glasses from the table, but couldn't hold back a restrained giggle anymore.

Immediately after releasing that, he blushed and tried to turn down his smile not succeeding completely, before turning back.

He didn't understand how somebody could be looking so funny and attractive at the same time.

His blush turned a shade darker, when he noticed Jared staring at him.

"It's good to know my failure and misery can make you laugh" he said dramatically, but had a friendly smirk on his lips and a twinkle in his eyes.

His mind was fuzzy from hearing Dan's laugh for the first time. Without a doubt, it was one of the most cutest, mesmerising things he had ever heard. And he wasn't even exaggerating, he really wanted to hear that again.

"I'm s-sorry" Dan said quietly not meeting his eyes, still trying to hide the smile but it was stuck on his face.

He took a dry towel and crouched to clean up the small soup water pool from the floor.

"Don't bother, feel free to laugh at me anytime" Jared said giving him a wink when he stood back up, chuckling now at himself too.

...

Read the full chapter in www.patreon.com/xelaneleh (link in my bio)