Chapter 12: Friendships and Trains

"I still can't believe you pulled a gun on Frank. That was epic." Chloe said. "It felt awful." Max replied as she balanced herself on the train tracks. "I'm glad there was no bullets in there—" She added. "You can just rewind time in your hand and stick that barrel right up Frank's ass." Chloe said, causing me to let out a laugh. "You have the power!" Chloe told her. "You're gross. Don't fall." Max said to her.

Max and Chloe gripped hands together. Holding each other from falling. I just followed behind them. Slowly walking, observing the environment around us.

"I'm just glad you were here." Chloe said, breaking the silence. Max nodded. "Me too... I think. Chloe, why the hell are you hanging around scary losers like Frank?" She asked. "It's weird." Chloe sat between the tracks. "Let's take a break and I'll talk." She said.

I walked a few feet from them and gave space. It seemed like a friend moment for them.

Holy shit it's been crazy so far. Today, I learned that Max can rewind time. Then we shot some bottles, bringing that Frank asshole to us. He backhanded me, then Max almost shot the dude. I'm honestly glad there wasn't any bullets in the gun too. I don't think I could stand seeing a dead guy. Seriously though, I—

"What are you doing over there, skater boy?" Chloe said, interrupting my thoughts. "Huh? Just looking around!" I told her.

Seriously though, I'm enjoying this time with Max and Chloe. They're both pretty cool. I didn't really think much of Max before. I never understood why Warren liked her so much. But now, I guess I can see why.

After a few minutes to myself, Max came to my side and said, "Look at that." Startling me a little. "What?" I questioned. She pointed at the sun behind some trees. "Perfect..." She said and aimed her camera at it. Just as she was about to take the shot, she groaned and grabbed her head.

Oh no, not this shit again.

"Whoa, are you okay?" I asked her. "Max, come on. Sit down for a minute." I told her. She continued to groan. Holding onto her head. "Holy shit!" I panicked. "Max? Daniel? Help! I'm stuck!" Chloe shouted. I looked over my shoulder and saw Chloe trying to pull her leg free. "Hold on, Chloe!" Max said suddenly. We both ran towards Chloe.

Max grabbed her hands and tried pulling her up. "Daniel, stomp the tracks!" Max told me. I lifted my foot and slammed it onto the tracks. "Dammit! Nothing's working!" I said.

Max kneeled beside Chloe and tried ripping her ankle free. Suddenly, a trains horn echoed from the distance. "Aw shit!" We all said in union. "Daniel, keep trying! I'm going to look for something to get her free!" Max told me. "Yeah, okay!" I said and Max sprinted off.

I kneeled beside Chloe and tried pushing the tracks. "Hurry, Daniel!" Chloe said. "I'm trying!" I told her. Max tried pulling the lever that switches the tracks but she couldn't move it. "Daniel, help me with this!" Max said. "On it!" I told her. I rushed over to Max, tripping on the train tracks as I did so.

Max moved out of the way so I could try pulling the lever. "Ugh! Come on you piece of shit!" I cursed as I tried to get it to move. "Come on, guys! Hurry!" Chloe shouted at us. "What about that fuse box?" I questioned. Max quickly opened it. "We need to find a tool to cut those wires!" Max said. "Go! I'll work with Chloe!" I said to her. Max nodded and ran off again.

I gripped my skateboard and tried to unhook the tracks from Chloe's ankle with it. The train turned the corner and was now visible. "Oh shit! Shit, shit, shit!" I panicked. "Please Daniel!" Chloe begged. I grabbed her arms and tried pulling her out. She still wasn't moving. The train screeched as the conductor tried to stop it. I pulled as hard as I could.

I suddenly slipped on a rock and fell backwards. A few inches away from the tracks.

Chloe looked at the train, then back at me. "Please!!!" She shouted. Then the train hit her.