Chapter 40: Back in Time

"I could frame any one of you in a dark corner, and capture you in a moment of desperation." Mr. Jefferson said.

"I believe Max has taken what you kids call a "selfie"..."

I'm back... right back where I started this insane week... And nobody is going to hurt my friends ever again...

"Of course, as you all know, the photo portrait has been popular since the early eighteen-hundreds. Your generation was not the first to use images for selfie-expression." Mr. Jefferson smirked. "Sorry. I couldn't resist." He said and cleared his throat. "The point remains that the portraiture has always been a vital aspect of art, and photography, for as long as it's been around." Mr. Jefferson looked at Max.

"Now Max, since you've captured our interest and clearly want to join the conversation, can you please tell us the name of the process that gave birth to the first self-portraits?"

"The Daguerreian Process." Max said. Mr. Jefferson raised his eyebrows. "Oh. Well... That was easy, Max." He said. "Was it? Okay." Max said. "Well... uh... Okay, then." Mr. Jefferson said. "So, The Daguerreian Process made portraiture hugely popular, mainly because it gave the subjects clear, defined features. You can learn more when you actually finish reading the assigned chapters. Obviously... Max has read them."

The bell then finally rang.

"And guys don't forget the deadline to submit a photo in the "Everyday Heroes" contest."

Time to change time.

"I'll fly out with the winner to San Francisco where you'll be feted by the art world."

First, let's make it real easy to capture Mark Jefferson.

"So Stella and Allyssa, get it together. Taylor, don't hide, I'm still waiting for your entry too. And yes Max, I see you pretending not to see me."

Max glared at Mr. Jefferson.

Bastard

She saw Daniel stand from his chair.

Oh, it's Daniel. He alive!

"Daniel?" Kate said. "What's up?" He asked as he looked at her. She nodded toward his skateboard under his table. "Your skateboard." Once he had it in hand, he nodded at her. "Thanks..." Kate smiled weakly at him and nodded back. Max watched as Daniel walked toward the door. She was sad to see that Daniel hasn't even looked at her.

"Daniel, if I catch you skating around the halls with that thing again..." Mr. Jefferson said. "You won't." Daniel assured him. He pushed the door open and entered the halls of Blackwell Academy.

I have to warn David about Jefferson and the Dark Room.

Max eyed at her phone on the table.

All I need is David's number and Jefferson is one text closer to life without parole...

She reached into her bag and took out a pamphlet containing Blackwell Academy's staff.

I should be able to track down David's number from this school pamphlet.

Max flipped through the pages until she found David Madsen's number.

Found you!

Max took out her phone and texted David.

For once, David... I'm praying you'll overreact to this as much as everything else... and take Jefferson down fast.