chapter three - An Invitation To Dinner

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"Beauty is everywhere a welcomed guest."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

Danielle woke up in an unfamiliar room. The beautiful female was looking around, taking in every detail -from the dark mahogany night table to the blue silk that was draped over the bed and her- when someone knocked on the black, slick door quite harshly.

"You will join me for dinner," a man gruffly said as he appeared in the now open entrance.

"I don't want to," she replied to his harsh tone.

"It's not a request," the coal-haired male snapped.

A woman in her late sixties suddenly appeared, laying a hand on his forearm, "Gently, master. She lost her father and freedom in one day."

The man turned to the soft female and glared, "You make her come, Théière. Otherwise it's your man who'll be my guest in the Red Room."

Once the frightening man disappeared through the hallway, the grey-haired female turned her attention to Danielle and smiled kindly at her.

"Sorry for that, sweetheart," she said as her brown doe-eyes stood inviting, "He hasn't had guests in ages who weren't supposed to be... treated well."

"I can see," she commented.

Her smile transformed into a warm and soothing laugh.

"I know you don't want to be eating in the same room, but what if I asked him if he could come back and ask it nicely. Sure that would make a difference in how you'd respond," she thought out loud before heading out without her opinion on the matter.

Not long after the door had been closed, the brown-haired female could faintly hear two voices discussing the same thing the elder woman was wondering aloud.

"-No," the gruff voice that belonged to the coal-haired male said, "I won't do that. I cannot be considered as weak."

"It's not being weak, sir," another male said, "It's called being nice. It can do as much -if not more- as force. With less casualties."

"Lueur, if this doesn't work, I'll make sure you'll repay me more than with just your services," the man threatened the poor male.

A knock was heard on the door. It was as hard as before.

"Gently," the man said, "Please. Attempt to be a gentlemen. She can be the one."

Danielle could hear a throat being cleared before the male resumed his speech, this time more calm. He inhaled before pinching his nose while asking if she would come down for dinner.

Slowly and steadily she made my way to the door. When she opened it, the two males -similar in height, yet different in appearance- both wore a hint of shock on their face.

The male asked, this time more urgent, if she would or not.

He was nudged in the side by the man Danielle had learned, went by the name of Lueur, and cleared his throat once more.

"What he wanted to say," said Lueur, "That he would like it if he had some company to dine with."

Danielle smiled at the man who had just spoken," Of course, I don't mind." Just as he turned around, she asked him if he would be there too. The man stopped in his steps before turning around and returning the smile she had given with one as generous. He shook his head, "I have other duties to fulfill, miss. But I will be there to serve dessert."