Chapter thirty-one - Broken

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"Broken boys are dangerous, but broken men are lovely."

- Dominic Riccitello

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

Danielle hesitated to how to formulate the thoughts she had formed. She didn't want to hurt him, even when he had done it the other way.

"I can't do this," she whispered, "There is someone... I don't know how to say it. The thought of him makes my heart race, Bounty. It's not right. I hope you understand."

Hunter pulled away his arms. His eyes held a defeated look and Danielle could have sworn she saw something glisten in them, but then he blinked and it was gone.

"You love someone else," he whispered. His voice had broken in the end of the sentence, not being able to stand its ground.

She caressed his cheek, trying to comfort him, and looked in his eyes to know what he was feeling, "It was bound to happen, you know. With you being gone for so long. It's not like I stopped loving you, Bounty, but now there's just someone else who I love too. He broke down the walls I had built since you had left me. We fought, but we survived. He was there when no one was. When you weren't. He saved me from myself."

His silver orbs weren't able to keep the liquid at bay anymore and it was now slowly leaking from his eyes, onto her hands. Hunter knew it was a possibility. He even knew it was a fact. She was going to fall in love one day with a guy that wasn't him because he had left her behind.

"But it doesn't take away I still love you," she whispered.

"It doesn't take away you love him too," he threw back. Danielle brushed away the tears that rolled down with her thumb.

"I know, Hunter. I'm sorry for it."

He grabbed her hands in a light grip and held them at a distance from her face. The sudden action took her by surprise. Hunter backed away from her and opened the door. Before he closed it again, he looked over his shoulder, "There is nothing to be sorry for."

His voice held no emotion more. It was as if he had turned a switch. This kind of Hunter wasn't one Danielle had seen. She didn't admit it, but deep down -in the pit of her stomach- a small knot formed which consisted out of fear. The female had never feared her best friend; not even when he was angry when the younger kids were bullying her and he scared them away.

This Hunter was feral.

This Hunter was broken.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow! I'm going to start a new book which is called 'Frosted Fate'

- Author-chan