chapter ten - Something Special

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas. Just like the ones I used to know"

- Dove Cameron

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

The tree had been set up while Danielle went to her room and read in silence. It was something she did more and more since she didn't want to be near the things that reminded her of other times. Happy times.

Danielle thought she did the same as her father; it was just without the gambling.

The door opened but she didn't look up since she thought it was just some draft.

"Elle," someone whispered in her ear, making the female jump up, "Want to put the peek on the tree?"

"S-Sure. It's not like I am doing much right now," Danielle said.

She cursed herself internally for saying that. The only thing she wanted to do was sit in her room and read some novels.

The tree was beautifully decorated. Hints of gold and silver swirled between the green of the tree and the red of the garlands.

William held a silver peek in the shape of a delicate snowflake in his hand.

"Time to do the finishing touch," he said when he handed the peek over.

She looked at the height of the tree. It was at least one and a half times taller than Danielle, if not more.

"I don't think I can reach it," she said in defeat.

"I'll help you."

He went to sit on all fours and made makeshift chair to stand on.

"Are you enjoying that you're taller than I am?" he joked. Danielle could almost feel the smile radiating off of him.

"Very much," she laughed.

"You should do that more often", William suddenly said.

"Do what?"

"Laugh. Or smile. It suits you, Elle," he said.

She put the peek on its rightful place, before she was thrown off of Williams back. Only to be caught by him again.

"I need something to smile for," she admitted quietly.

The rare times Danielle smiled were when she was pulled into another world because of a book. One where a girl meets her prince charming but doesn't know it's him until chapter three.

"Then I'll give you a reason," he said and smiled.

He tugged at her arm and opened the back door. Danielle looked outside to the white snow that covered the ground and trees.

"No way I'm going outs-" she was interrupted by a snowball that hit her right on her arm.

The female didn't care about the cold anymore. She ran outside and threw snowballs his way. But suddenly he was gone.

He was hiding.

Danielle suddenly was grabbed from behind, hands on her eyes so she didn't see anything.

"Turn around."

She did as he told her to.

He took away his hands and she saw him looking at her.

"Now, look up."

Again she listened to his words.

A mistletoe hung between the two of them.

William started leaning forward. His arm snaked around her waist and he pulled Danielle even closer.

Then, it happened.

They kissed.

It wasn't a small peck; William couldn't believe he wasn't retracting his lips from hers. He couldn't believe he enjoyed it. The feeling of her in his arms; of her lips against his.

He pulled away a bit, but kept his forehead against Danielle's. Their breaths mingled in the cold December-air, creating a wonderful cloud that engulfed them.

"Merry Christmas," he mumbled against her lips.