chapter six - The Escape

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"I run until time stops. Until my mind stops."

- Jennifer Niven

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

If he told Danielle to get out, she would. And no one would stop her while she was.

The girl ran outside barefoot.

The wind was icy and stung with every step she took. The fog combined with the night made it harder for Danielle to see.

But in the distance she saw a light. Not the kind you would when you were about to die, but true light. From a lamp. Or a house.

The light lured her in, like a moth drawn to a flame. But just like the moth, she was bound to get burned.

When Danielle looked around, she saw that she was in an alley. When the brown-haired female wanted to back out of the dim lit passageway, she bumped into a wall.

Instead, this wall was not one made of stone, but made out of flesh and bones.

A man asked her where she was going, his words slurring, as he grabbed her arms roughly, "We haven't had our fun yet."

She tried to shake off his dirty, blood-rimmed hands but his grip tightened.

"Don't test me," he growled.

The playfulness was gone out of the drunken man and it was replaced by menace and a knife.

He pushed the cold blade against her cheek, "Scream and you're dead."

Silent tears started trickling down, one by one, and while she tried to stand strong, the man was trying to unbuckle his jeans whilst keeping the knife pressed against her cheek.

"Let her go," Danielle heard a voice growl.

It was one she was surprised to hear since he was the reason the female was here in the first place.

The intoxicated male laughed and turned around. When he noticed someone else standing there, he asked him who he thought he were. "I don't share," the drunkard cackled.

"There is nothing to share, you scumbag. Leave the girl alone."

William held a threatening pose in the entrance of the alley. His muscles were tensed and his breathing was ragged. In his left hand, he held the gun Danielle saw earlier on lying under the glass bell.

"Piss off, man," the man said and he was turning to me and forcefully grabbed her face, "We don't want this beauty to get hurt. Would be quite a pity."

Danielle froze.

A blur of black came rushing to her and she embraced herself for the impact that never came. William held the drunken man by his jaw. But unlike when it happened to her, his feet weren't touching the ground.

Then a gun went off.

The male fell to the ground.

And so did William.