chapter fourteen - Back To The Beast

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"Once you lose yourself, you have two choices: find the person you used to be, or lose that person completely."

- H.G. Wells

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

William had never thought he would see her again. He had hoped for it. But he never believed it would come true.

He told himself he had to thank his friend Horlo for telling him not to give up on wishing.

He had to slightly shake his head in order to reassure himself she was really standing there in front of him.

"What brought you back?" William questioned the brown-haired female.

She chuckled.

He never thought he would like something that ordinary that much as he did right now.

"I only asked to visit my father, William," she said in a choked up voice. While saying that one sentence, her voice had broken multiple times due to the overflow of emotions.

The raven-haired man cocked his head a bit to the side. It looked almost like a lost puppy who didn't understand how the world worked.

It was quite comical to see such a dangerous man with such an innocent look on his face, Danielle thought.

"He had a-an accident," she explained.

When the words started seeping through, the look of confusion turned into one of empathy.

He reached out for her at the same she did. When one arm encircled her body, she started crying quietly, which eventually turned into sobs and heaves. He started stroking her hair with his other hand to try and comfort her.

He remembered how to do this from when his little sister had cried.

"I'm sorry to hear that," William had said, "But I'm sure everything will be okay."

He had thought those words of comfort, would diminish the flowing of the tears, yet the salty droplets started falling more frequently.

"It won't be okay," she sobbed, "H-he needs surg-g-gery and we can't a-afford it."

"I'll pay for it," he said, once again trying something to cheer up the female a bit.

Danielle brought up her had and wiped away the liquid that was rolling out of her eyes. She looked up at the man who had said something she couldn't believe was true.

"You would do that?" she sniffled.

The dark eyed man's lip tugged up a bit, seeing a positive change in her mood.

"Of course. I promise."

The brown haired female eyed William to look for any signs of lying and when she found none, she managed to give him a small smile out of appreciation.

That same smile tugged at the strings of his heart, causing a small flutter. He now understood what everyone meant with 'feeling butterflies'. Even though this feeling was quite new and unfamiliar to him, he knew he wanted to experience it more.

"Thank you," she whispered, "It means a lot to me."

After the encounter, William went to his office to make sure he fulfilled his promise. After all, he would always try his hardest not to break them.

There was only one he wasn't sure of that he could keep, though, and that was the most important one to him. The one he made to his sister.