chapter twenty-two - The Fifth Stage Of Grief

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear."

- C.S. Lewis

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

A/N

You will be able to do an Q&A with Danielle today (21th January 2018)! Leave your comments or write me in the conversations!

Danielle still held onto the dead body of Gianna while she kept on crying.

"She is gone, isn't she?" said her small voice. If it wasn't for the silence that blanketed the room, William wouldn't have heard it.

"I am afraid she is. You liked her?"

"She was nice. I hadn't known her long enough to actually see her as a friend. But someone dying in front of me, hits me deep," she confessed. A lone tear trickled down her face, landing on Gianna's lifeless corpse.

She tried to give him a smile, but it came out a smile. It was forced and the tear that was lying on her cheek, waiting to fall, wasn't helping her to lie, "I'm fine."

"I know you're not, Danielle," he whispered.

William held out his arms, a silent invitation for her to accept. Slowly, he let them fall as he felt the rejection wash over him. He felt The Beast in his mind trying to claw out, trying to take control again. But as much as he tried to tell himself to let his heart stop feeling, he couldn't. He still loved her. That was why he was fighting against his Beast for so long and was still fighting it. He didn't want her to be hurt. Or get hurt. He couldn't stand it. Danielle crying now, was already too much to take, so he couldn't even imagine what he would feel if he inflicted pain on her directly. It would feel like his own personal Hell.

Danielle couldn't bring herself to accept the silent invitation he gave her. He just killed someone in front of her. She thought he had another choice but as she thought about it, she tried to look at it from his point of view. The brown-haired beauty learned he had no choice. It was the only way to put his mind at ease.

She finally understood.

William looked at her as she got up and laid Gianna in a peaceful way. Danielle placed Gianna's hands on top of her stomach and her eyes closed. When she went out of the room, he lost it. His inner demons, one in particular, started to claw out even more. She didn't want to be with him, he thought.

He understood why Danielle would feel like that. He would have been repulsed by himself if he was her.

After all, no one would ever love a beast.

And he was damned to be one forever.