Chapter twenty-seven - Secrets And Lies

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"Reflection can transform something familiar."

Diane L. Dunton

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

Danielle was waiting for a response of Hunter. Any kind of reply. All he did was look at the female as if he didn't believe her. He was staring with his silver eyes, absorbed in his thoughts.

"That's not true," he stated, "I would have recognized her."

Those words stung in her heart. She knew she had changed a lot since that particular moment -mostly because she didn't want to be reminded of how he used to compliment the colour of her locks or how he always said he loved the way she dressed up without having to do much effort to look gorgeous-, but she hoped he would still see it was her. His little DiDi.

Her tears threatened to spill again. The salt droplets already brimmed Danielle's eyes, blurring her view a bit.

"You don't believe me?" she asked. She laughed, more out of stress and started rambling, "Of course you wouldn't believe me. You were supposed to be dead so you aren't even the same Hunter. I saw him kill himself, you know? I even yelled at him not to do it. But he did. Jumped from a building."

Her voice grew softer, even to the point of sounding broken, and quieter. The tears were now freely falling down. She saw the image of her friend jumping, the one she had spend so much effort on to forget, again. But Danielle lied to herself about having forgotten it. She hadn't, only pushed into a corner so she wouldn't be reminded of it. There wasn't a day she thought of it at least once, though she would never admit to herself.

Hunter didn't believe her first -though that was what he was telling himself-, but now he did. Danielle, his Danielle, was the only one who saw his death. The others who saw it, knew it was staged since they helped to set it up.

He took a step to where she was sitting. The brown-haired beauty didn't see him coming closer due to the tears that now clouded her entire vision.

Danielle didn't expect him to pull her in a hug. It was sudden, but it was filled to the brim with understanding. That was the moment she knew he remembered.

He drew circles on her lower back with his thumb while his other hand was stroking her hair.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, "I'm sorry you, but you had to think that. For your own safety, DiDi. Don't hate me for it. I love you too much for that." She wasn't supposed to hear it. But she did.