iii) Hello, Goodbye

I DO NOT OWN THE PICTURES ABOVE

She sat by an oak tree, listening to the way it spoke in such an ancient and wise manner as she hid in the shadows.

She loved it. She loved the memories it brought and how her heart raced from pure contentment. She wanted the moment to last but knew it wouldn't.

The moon was rising higher in the night sky, almost half way through. She knew it wouldn't be long until the real hunting starts. She had to leave before that happened. She knew that, but she felt glued to the ground. So, instead, she just closed her eyes and continued listening to the tree.

"Freeze," she suddenly heard a voice as her eyes shot open. A gun was pointed to her head. "Wait, Fallyn?"

She looked past the gun to see Sammy staring at her in utter confusion.

"Don't tell anyone," she said through gritted teeth before closing her eyes again and leaning back on the tree.

"What are you doing here anyway?"

She inwardly groaned, not wanting to converse with anyone at that moment but eventually opened her eyes to look at him.

"Fulfilling my dream."

He rolled his eyes before outstretching his arm.

"Let's go."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Our parents are on patrol not far behind me. If you don't come with me, they'll find you." She rolled her eyes before taking his hand as he held pull her up.

"I'm not going home though."

"I wasn't going to take you there."

"Why not?"

"Hunting alone isn't fun."

"I wouldn't call it hunting," she snickered. "More like a walk in the woods with a gun. I mean, what are you hunting anyway? An non-existent being?"

"Shush, Fallyn," Sammy laughed. "This was against my will, you know how our parents are."

"Yeah, honestly, they act like little kids when it comes to mythical creatures."

"True...do you think Felix believes in them?"

"Of course he does, he doesn't know any better. Remember how your mother wouldn't let him hang out with me when he was younger because she claimed I would 'pollute his mind'?"

"Yeah, I remember that. She's so obsessed with mythical creatures that she thinks anyone who disagrees with her belief is dumb or stupid."

"Little does she know her own son doesn't believe in them."

He chuckled.

"The problem about having everyone praise you and treat you like an absolute angel is when you have to reveal you don't believe in what they believe in. I know if I ever confess, they'll think it was because of you."

"Yeah, but you need to tell them eventually. I don't care if your parents hate me more. No offense, but I really couldn't care less about what they think about me anymore."

"What about your own parents? They seem to be losing their patience with you these days."

"My parents gave up on me years ago. I bet they would have disowned me long ago if they could."

"Don't say that."

"But it's true," Fallyn sighed as she looked at the ground.

"Life must suck for you," he uttered as he intertwined his fingers with hers.