Chapter 63

Riley's POV

After speaking to Blake I headed back to my room and thought about what I was actually going to say to Jade when she picked up. I didn't want he to go off her head at me as now wasn't the time to have an argument with her. I figured it was best not to plan and over think things so I just pressed her number and waited for her to pick up. I waited only to hear her voicemail (which had been updated).

"I'm sorry but the old Jade can't come to the phone right now! Why? Oh! Because she's eating, sleeping or busy in some other way. Please leave a message, byeeeeeee!"

I rolled my eyes fondly and left a message. "Hey Jade, call me back when you can, I want to talk to you. Hope you're doing ok."

I decided that it would be best to leave it for a few minutes then call her in a few minutes, which is what i did.

I rang again and for a second i thought it would take me to voicemail. But it didn't. There was silence on the other end before:

"What do you want?" she said moodily.

"I just wanted to phone you to speak to my best friend," I said.

"Oh," she said. She paused. "How are you?" she said, sounding oddly formal.

"I'm quite good. Haven't heard from my parents whether i get to stay here to finish school but i hope i do. And please don't be formal. I like the crazy, energetic Jade not this Jade," I said.

"The old Jade is dead and has been replaced with a morbid, self pitying, degenerate Jade," she said miserably.

"Jadeee, come on. It's not the end of the world. Just because this happened doesn't mean you have to mourn about it for the rest of your life. Would your child have wanted you to do this to yourself? Would they have wanted to blame yourself because of what happened? It's bloody nature Jade. Nature is cruel but we have to get on with life. I'm not going to sit here while you mourn and weep over this. Get over yourself," I said into the phone. I wasn't planning on saying that but I had to be honest to her.

There was silence, so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Then i heard the softest of sobs and a deep breath.

"I cannot believe that you would have the audacity to say something like that!" she screamed so loudly i had to jerk the phone away from my ear.

"YOu did not go through this shit! You have no right to say something like that! You don't know what it's like, no one does! And i don't know what my child would have fucking wanted because he never got the chance to develop a personality or a train of thought or anything! You don't know what you're talking about, I cannot believe that you would be so insensitive! I've been crying myself to sleep evERY SINGLE NIGHT! I've had demons in my head that have whispered all sorts of horrors to me and all you have to say is "get over yourself"?!!!?! Fuck you," she yelled.

At that moment the line ended and I sat staring at my phone screen. Then i whispered to myself "my aunt knows how you feel Jade." I had never told anyone and it wasn't a talk we have as a family back home but my auntie had lost a child a couple years back so what Jade had yelled at me had actually hurt quite a lot. I just hoped with all my heart she didn't mean what she had just said. I sat there on my bed for a few minutes and once i knew Jade wasn't going to phone back and say she didn't mean it, I got up to go find Blake. Of course i found Blake in his room on his computer.

"How'd it go?" he asked seeing me.

I just shook my head and went over to him. I wrapped my arms around his chest and buried my head next to his face. He automatically wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer to him. For a few minutes we sat there until we heard my phone ringing in my back pocket.