Chapter 15: Gray

Tom sat at his desk, looking over the wedding list on his tablet. He looked at Tomas' mirror and sighed.

Ever since this morning, Tom have been worried about his monster buddy. He never had to deal with that in a while. The last time was he dealt with uncontrollable crying was when he was a teen. That was time when his old friend left and he didn't know it was Tord.

-//-

Tom met the boy in elementary school when he was four. The boy played with him when no one else would. He would tell Tom jokes and share his stuff with him. Tom would do the same. But, he never got the boy's name. Sometimes, he would call him Little Norski as his accent reminded him of a Norwegian boy he met a year ago. 

Of all the people Tom met, he was the one who Tom talked to the most. He was there when Tom went through the good and bad times. It was not surprising when Edd started to get jealous of the two when they didn't invite him to events. This went on until one day when they were alone.

"Hey Tom?" his friend looked over at him. The horns on his head were short but, spiky. His silvery gray eyes looked into Tom's black ones.

"Yeah man?" Tom looked at the boy's outfit. It was usually red, black, and a sometimes purple. His outfit was no different. It was usually blue, black, and checkerboard.

"My family wants me back home. They want me to go to a middle school in Norway." His accent came out a little. Tom noticed it but, said nothing. After a moment of silence, Tom said something to his friend.

"Er du sikker? (Are you sure?)" This made his friend look at him with wide eyes.

"How do you know my language?" His friend asked. He never heard the British boy say anything like that before.

"I learned it for a friend. I also heard you speak it so, I asked someone in my family to teach me some more of the language." He started to hum a song. That's when Tom felt a hand on his hair.

"I'll be back in a year or two. By then, I'll find permanent resident here so that we can remain friends." His friend said.

When the summer came, he was gone. It was two years later that his friend came back for high school. They remained friends until his Norski friend graduated from high school early. Apparently, he had a genius IQ and passed through high school quickly.

That's when Tom started to feel depressed. He didn't know why but, he started to cry a lot.

As soon as he left high school, he returned home. There, he worked at a nearby coffee shop for about three years. That was when he saw his old friend Edd and someone else behind him. He stops working when he hears a familiar accent coming from the man behind Edd.

"Come on Tord, he's our old friend." Edd tug the near tall man to his side.

"I don't want to talk to him..." The man replied.

"Hey Tom!" Edd hugged him. His hugs were usually warm and safe. Tom looked over Edd shoulder and gasped.

The man looked like his old friend from high school. He had the same hairstyle, the same silvery gray eyes, and wore red.

"Tord huh?" He got out of Edd's hug and walked over to the man.

"You don't want to talk to me? Your old friend? Why not?" Tom asked. His face was close to Tord's face.

"I just don't want to..." Tord looked away.

"Fine, I'll talk to Edd." He sits next to Edd and starts to talk to him. His face lit up at the thought of moving away from home. He agrees to the offer and told Edd he can move in a week. That's when Tord said something in his native tongue.