T W E N T Y - O N E : T A K E N

"All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"
                                     ~Francis of Assisi
Daryl's POV

"They're still not back," I growl, walking up to Hershel.

Glenn and the others have been gone now way longer than they should've.

"Easy Dixon, they can take care of themselves," Hershel smirks at me.

I raise a brow. "What?"

"I bet your worried? About Clementine?"

Clementine.

The name like an arrow to me. The dumb girl was as stubborn as a bag of nails, but for some reason, I always felt the need to protect her.

Ever since we first met, even if that wasn't on great terms.

"Nah, girl can take care of herself," I scowl, shaking my head. "It's yer daughter I'm worried about." I lie.

I was worried they were in danger, that she was in danger.

"I know you worry about her Dixon," he sighs.

I huff and roll my eyes. "Sorry old man, but yer wrong."

He shakes his head. "If you didn't care for her, you wouldn't have reacted the way you did back at the farm when she disappeared, and you definitely wouldn't run to her side each time she screamed in her dreams."

I froze. I hated when she had those dreams, I knew why she had them. Someone had scarred her, and they still haunted her.

It hurt me seeing her like that at times, crying, unsure of what to do.

I knew what had happened to her. Those scars I saw on her back the first day we met, the scars she thought I didn't see, I knew where they came from.

I knew, because I had the same scars.

Scars left from people we thought we could trust, someone we should have trusted.

"Daryl," I look back at the old man. "Just, say something, talk to the girl. Do something before it's too late, before she's gone forever."

I bite my lip and look at the ground, contemplating what he said.

I wanted to tell her something, but I knew the words would never be able to leave my mouth.

"I thought we'd lose the baby." I thought, remembering what had happened days ago.

I scowled, getting angry at how I had pussied out. I could have told her something, but I had to ruin it.

"I need to find Rick," Hershel turns away, uncomfortable by the silence. "He needs to eat."

I nod, breathing out, pushing away the thoughts. "Make sure he holds little ass kicker."

I walk into the room after a while to see everyone was in there, everyone except for Rick. "How is she?" Herhsel sits on a chair.

"She's fine," Beth smiles, placing her in his arms.

I look down at little ass kicker and let out a smile.

What would Clementine's babies look like?

As much as she denied it, she was a great mother and will be a great one. She's kept Sophia alive, saved her in the first place.

Footsteps echo from the hallway leading into the room, the steps slow.