Chapter Sixty Two

"You know.." Gary muses, running a long index finger around the rim of his Bacardi and Coke as we sit in British Airways first class lounge at Heathrow waiting for our flight call. "This holiday was suppose to be for our anniversary next month."

I learn forwards, replacing my glass of orange juice back on the small table between us. "Yeah?" I smile, heartened by the notion that Gary would whisk me away somewhere romantic for our anniversary, but grateful he decided to bring it forwards none the less.

Gary nods, taking down a glug of the spirit and sugar, and i watch his Adams apple rise and fall as his throat works on the swallow. "You have no idea how many phone calls i had to make to move it forwards four weeks."

"Oh, its that exclusive is it?" I raise an eyebrow, folding my arms across my chest for the mere body warmth, despite it almost being mid-April, the weather outside was as dreary as mid-winter.

Gary grins again, stretching back into the plush, lilac-grey seat. "Its not bad i guess."

"When you say not bad?"

"My lips are sealed."

"Gary!"

"What?!" He chuckles, his eyes creasing at the corners and sparkling with childish amusement. "It was suppose to be a secret in the first place, ive got to keep some surprises for you, haven't i?"

I pout, taking another sip of juice and wishing it were wine; shivering when the chilled, crisp beverage slips past my lips.

"You cold?" Gary reacts with the heightened instinct of a doting father, sitting up right again and unfastening the zip of his black hoodie. Shaking my head, i wave my hand in signal that he should keep it. "No, im fine."

"Have my hoodie."

"Gary, honestly, im fine." My attempt to assure him, naturally, gets no where though and Gary has shrugged himself out of the jacket within three seconds.

"Here." He holds it over the table for me to take.

"Gary, really, im okay."

"Do i have to dress you now as well?" His eyes are smiling, betraying his deadpan tone.

"Okay!" Taking the garment from his hand, i relent, slipping it around my shoulders and i fidgeting to get my arms though the sleeves, when i do, however, its a welcome comfort and i cant help but pull the fleecy material across my body, folding my arms under my chest to keep it in place.

"Better?" Gary takes another sip of Bacardi and Coke, running his tongue over his bottom lip as he pulls the glass away and relishes the after taste.

I narrow my eyes, offering a begrudging nod, and Gary laughs a look-whos-right-again kind of laugh, low and rumbling and complete with the full trademark smirk at the end.

Theres a moment of comfortable silence before i voice the query niggling my conscience;

"Are you sure Ethan will be okay with your mum for the week?"

Gary sighs, loudly, and leans forward in his chair, now bare forearms resting on top of solid thighs. "I knew this was bothering you."

I swallow. "N- It- Its not its just-" I watch a single drop of condensation slip down the outside of my glass and I don't move my eyes from it until it reaches the table. "I miss him that's all."

"I know babe," Garys hand moves into sight as he shuffles himself to the edge of his seat, wrapping four long fingers around my slim wrist and encouraging me to look up. "I do too, we both do. But you need a break."