5 - Ophiel

Lexa had found him when walking home from school. She wasn't sure how she saw it, since it was so small and quite far away. It was hidden behind a trashcan too; it was amazing that Lexa spotted it. The thing was a somewhat tiny, yellow coloured, spotted dog.

The dog fit perfectly into Lexa's backpack so she carried him home in it, not fully zipping it up so that there would be a gap for air to get through.

Her plan was to raise the dog in her bedroom so that her brother Leon and her mom wouldn't find out about him. Another of Lexa's foolproof plans.

It was going well until the dog started barking... Loudly... Like, really Loudly... At 4:00 am...

"BORF, BORF, BARK, BARK!!"

"No! Shush for goodness sake you dumb dog!" Lexa said to the dog as if it could understand her.

Leon barged in, "what the hell is going o-" he stared in pure confusion at the dog on Lexa's bed, contently wagging it's tail and sticking it's tounge out.

Lexa turned to Leon, "PFFT HOW DID HE GET IN HERE!? I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS DOG PFFT."

"I cannot wait to tell mom about this," said Leon.

"No! Don't tell her!" pleaded Lexa.

"But seriously, I literally cannot wait, I'm gonna go tell her now," said Leon.

"NO DON'T YOU DARE GO AND TE-" Leon was already in his mom's room.

"You're saying there's a dog in Lexa's bedro-" began Lexa's mom.

"Yes," finished Leon.

"... ... ... ... LEXA KOULOURAKIA RIPLEY GET YOURSELF OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!!!!!"

Lexa quietly tiptoed into the room, her head bowed in shame.

"Lexa, why is there a dog In your room!?" Questioned Lexa's mom.

"It was all by itself behind a trashcan... No mom or anything... The dog had a broken tail as well, it has crossed eyes too... I couldn't just leave it there, the dog could've died!" Explained Lexa.

Lexa's mom felt a bolt of empathy run through her. She felt bad for the dog, but they couldn't keep a dog in the house, "we'll take him to the shelter then, he'll be looked after there."

"Come on, please? I really do want to keep him, he looks so lonely!" Nagged Lexa, "I'll look after him and everything!"

Lexa's mom raised an eyebrow.

"Besides it could, um..." Lexa thought of a random reason to keep the dog, "teach me responsibility! Yeah, the dog could teach me responsibility!"

"You? Be responsible? Sure," sarcastically replied her mom.

"I will!" argued Lexa.

It was around 4:00 am, Lexa's mom was really tired and didn't have the energy to argue, "keep the dog then... But my god, one mistake and we're taking him to the shelter. Now get out."

A couple hours later, it was 10:00 am, Saturday morning.

Lexa was eating cereal on the kitchen table, her pet dog sitting proudly on the floor next to her chair.

"I can't believe she let you keep him," sleepily said Leon.

Lexa grinned and then reached out to pet her dog, "what should I call him?"

"Don't know, dog?" Replied Leon.

"We can't just call him dog!" protested Lexa, "how would you feel if someone called you human!?"