Air Force

I, James Tippen, am going to be late to my very first conference meeting due to a freaking storm. The plane I was supposed to go on experienced major turbulence and was slowed down. I had to get from Manhattan to Los Angeles (aye where my LA peeps at) in about........an hour so that I could make the meeting on time.

Yeah.

That's not happening.

I was impatiently tapping my foot waiting next to this pretty lady who seemed to be waiting for someone. I took glances every now and then. She was easy on the eyes. And besides, I was lacking a girl around my arms.

She had choppy brown hair but still managed to make it work, perfect, kissable lips, long eye lashes, legs for days, and her eyes. My god, her eyes. I couldn't tell what color they were. The were blue, then green, then gray, then brown, then green again. (I'm internally puking)

So, I started a conversation.

"Goin to Los Angeles?" I asked. She looked over at me almost shockingly. Then I noticed that she was close to tears. She let out a small laugh.

"No, no. I'm waiting for someone," she responded. I hoped it wasn't a boyfriend.

"Who? If ya don't mine me askin' that is," I said politely. Well, at least what I thought was polite.

"My fiancé." My stomach dropped to my feet. "He's in the U.S. Air Force. He's supposed to be coming but this whole plane mess is just...." she sighed sadly and a tear leaked and raced down her cheek. She wiped it away quickly. "I haven't seen in in almost a year and.......Gods, I'm sorry. I'm a complete mess." She let out a humorless laugh.

"Nah, its all right. I would be the same if I was in you're place honestly," I responded. "I'm James Tippen." I held out a hand to shake. She took it.

"I'm Piper, Piper McLean. Well, soon to be Grace if this plane doesn't crash." My stomach plummeted to the floor beneath us. The chances of me getting this girl were about the same as getting to my meeting on time. No way in hell.

"I'm sure it'll be all right Miss, or should I say Mrs.?" She let out a real laugh this time and she sounded like an angel who descended from heaven.

Then the speaker crackled over us.

"Flight 862 will be arriving shortly, I repeat Flight 862 will be arriving shortly, thank you," then it crackled out of existence. I heard Piper catch her breath. This was my flight.

Which also meant that this was Piper's fiancé's flight.

"Flight 862 has arrived and will be unloading passengers shortly."

Piper stood up from her seat.

People started spilling out of the exit.

I caught the eye of a man in an army uniform. His eyes seemed to send an electric shock through me. His blonde hair was in a neat crew cut.

On the side of his uniform was a patch labeled US Air Force.

Then his eyes moved over to my left.

Piper let out a small sob.

They ran towards each other and everyone in the airport seemed to look at them.

He dropped his bag, opened his arms wide and Piper rammed right into them.

It was like a cheesy rom com.

They kissed and the entire airport "awed."

Heck, even I did.