Back in Time Part 4

Heads up there's some strong language in this chapter

Previously on Back in Time

The first thing he noticed was that the futures were gone. Chiron seemed to notice too, but it was less prominent.

"There you two are. Percy we need to read that prophecy," said Annabeth. There was only one of her.

"What? But where'd they go?"

"What in Hades are you talking about?"

"Nevermind," he sighed. Percy looked at Chiron and they both passed a message.

They were the only ones who remembered.

One second Annabeth was in a room full of demigods from her time and from her past and the next she was in the streets of Manhattan standing next to Percy, Jason, Thalia, Nico, Leo, and Piper.

"Whoa, how in Hades did we get here?" asked Leo as he looked around.

"I don't know, but this street looks familiar. Percy, don't you live on this street?" questioned Annabeth. Percy did a full 360 before responding.

"I - yeah I do. Let's check out my apartment then," he said. Percy took hold of Annabeth's hand and led the group to his apartment. The group of teen demigods fought their way through tourists, pedestrians, and honking cars. When they reached the door to his apartment, Percy hesitantly knocked on the door.

The man who opened the door made Percy freeze. He was overweight, had little to no hair, and a half-gone cigarette hung from the corner of his crusted and chapped lips. The man raised a greasy eyebrow and before he could say anything, Percy punched him with all his might and the man crumbled. Percy quickly kicked the door closed and scrambled away from it. He tripped over himself but Annabeth caught him in her arms.

"Woah Percy. I'm pretty sure you don't punch strangers no matter how ugly they are," quipped Leo. Percy didn't respond. His hands shook violently and a new look crossed his features, one his friends hadn't seen before.

"That man is supposed to be dead," deadpanned Annabeth. Thalia sent her a confused look. Percy let go of Annabeth reluctantly and turned around to face the group. His hands were still shaking. Percy looked at the door with such intense hatred that shock filtered through the others' features.

"That's my old stepdad. He died when I was twelve," he responded.

There was a long pause.

"Do you think the gods sent us further back in time instead of returning us to our time?" asked Thalia. Annabeth nodded and rubbed Percy's back comfortingly. He leaned into her soft touch. He rested his forehead on her shoulder. 

"We should head to Camp, we'll be safer there and we'd probably get some more answers," said Annabeth.

"I'd shadow travel us but Will would find a way here and kill me," said Nico. Leo snickered and Nico sent a cold glare to the boy. "We could take a cab."

"We don't have money for a cab," reminded Annabeth. In response, Percy opened the door, leaned over Gabe's unconscious body and started patting him down. He slipped his hand into one of the pockets and pulled out a wad of cash.

"We've got our cab money. He was probably going to use it to buy beer, cigars, or to gamble," he said bitterly. Percy spat at his old stepfather and closed the door. "We should get going." Annabeth took a hold of his hand as a comforting gesture. He squeezed her hand gently. His friends looked at him worriedly.