CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT: At The Office

At The Office

"Hey guys!" Kathleen said. "Since today is Friday, why don't we have a break for awhile? What do you think? A Friday night." She announced.

      We're at our department at the moment.

     "Yeah, that was great." Luke said.

     "I'm in, Miss Kathleen." Mia said.

Then, she turned her roller chair on her right-corner side.

"What do you think?" Kathleen asked.

Silence. There's no answer.

What do you think?" she repeated.

Still, no answer.

"Hey, Derrick!" she said.

Still, she did not receive any response.

She sighed.

Then, she knocked on the desk.

"Derrick?" she said.

I was a bit surprise on the knock. I turned my look and was a bit surprise on her. I look like I was just awaken from a deep sleep.

My forehead creased.

"Hi!" I just said. Then, I sat properly on my chair. "Oh, Hi! What is it?"

"Are you okay?" she said instead.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I was just too focus on my work. Yeah, too focus." I said but even I, was doubting myself. "So, what was it? What was it, again?"

Her face shows concerns at the moment.

I sighed.

"What is it, Kathleen?"

She smiled at me "Well, I said if it would be okay for us to have a break since today is Friday. A Friday night."

I sighed and leaned on the backrest of my chair then I combed my hair using my fingers.

"Yeah, sure. You can leave the office early. That's not a problem." I said.

"I mean, the four of us, is it possible? Me, Luke, Mia and You." she said.

I pointed myself.

"Me?" I asked.

"Yes." she replied. "Including you."

     "Oh!" I said. "I'm sorry. But, I can't." I said.

      Her facial expression suddenly change. She looks now so disappointed.

      "Why? It suppose to be a team date for us." she said.

      I sighed.

     "Alright. I can't join you tonight but if you want, we can have our team lunch on the cafeteria today." I said then I look at my wrist watch. "Just on time, Oh! Five o'clock, it is too late for team lunch, but we can still eat on the Cafeteria. Coffee break, snacks maybe. So, what do you think? Let's go? It's my treat." I said then I stand up.

    I heard her sighed.

    "Yes. We're done on our lunch. I assume that you didn't have your lunch, right?" she said.

I scratched my nape and smiled a bit.

"Well..... yes. Since, I still have work to do."I just said.

Her right eyebrow raised. And her face shows 'I don't believe you'.

Then, I heard her sighed.

   "Okay. Let's go." she just said. "Guys, Mia, Luke, let's have our lunch break first. It's a treat by Derrick. Let's go, at the Cafeteria."

    Mia stand up. "Alright, Miss Kathleen."

"Okay, Ma'am." Said by Luke then he stand up also.

"So?" she said while looking at me. I'm still sitting on my chair.

I stand up quickly.

"Oh, yeah! Let's go." I just said.

Then, I followed them.

We reach the Cafeteria but I stopped on the door.

"Hey, here's our table." Kathleen said to me.

Luke and Mia are now sitting on that place.

I sighed.

I don't know but I need to know it.

"Guys, please don't hesitate to order whichever you like." I said to them then I called the concessionaire." Please list it on my name. Thank you!"

"Why?" Kathleen asked.

"I just need to have a call. And, this is important." I said to them.

"I'm sorry. I'll be back." I said then I walk to the door and went outside the cafeteria.

I went in the corner side in between of the Cafeteria and the elevator.

I just need to call her. I really need it.

I sighed.

Days passed. Weeks passed. It has been over a month actually, but I can't still contact her. I can't find her. I'm worried on her condition. Though, I'd always dropped by at the Vintage Cafe hoping to see her but she's not there. Everyday, after office work, when I passed on her unit I was knocking to see if she's there. But, she's not there. I don't know where can I find her. She didn't even advise me to where she will go. She didn't even left any notes or any marks. She left without telling it to me. She left and I am not aware. She just left. She left. She just left. She left. And, she left me unaware of it.

I breathe hard.

"Alright. I'll try to call her again." I said then dialed her number on my mobile phone.

I breathe in and out first before clicking the call button on my phone.

I click the call button then put my phone on my right ear.

My lips formed a wide smile showing my teeth when I finally heard she answered the call.

"Hi Hann-" My wide smile on my lips suddenly fade when I heard the voice over the phone.

"The number you have dialed is either unattended or out of coverage area. Please try call later."

I breathe in.

"Okay. One more try." I said then try to call her again. I did that several times but I only heard the same answer again and again.

I smiled. A bitter smile.

"What happened to her? That woman! Is she that too childish? That woman!" I said and breathe hard.

"What's wrong with her?" I said aloud.

"She left. She already left. She really left me." I said in a low tone.

"What's wrong with that woman?" I said aloud. "Shit!"

"Damn!" I said and punched the wall.

       I was so luck no one is around or else I will be doomed.