CHAPTER FOURTY-NINE: At The Vintage Cafe

At The Vintage Cafe

       Two hours before lunch. Yes, two hours before lunch. Hmmm, maybe preparing foods won't harm me. Haha! Funny! An awkward life of a wife. A new kind of chores for me. Real life it is. Yes, really is.

   I sigh.

   I called Millie. " Millie, can you handle the counter for me, please? "

  " Yes, sure Miss Hannah. " She replied back.

   I smiled at her and went to the kitchen.

   " Hi Mike! How're you doing? " I called Mike. I saw him holding a tray of cakes and was about to put it on the oven. He looks surprise when he saw me. His hands almost slipped from holding the tray of cakes.

" Oops, careful. " I said then I help him to hold the tray.

" Thank you, Miss Hannah! " He said then he put the tray of cakes inside the oven.

He unwear his gloves and put it down in the table. "How may I help you? " He said.

I smiled at him. " Nothing in particular. I will just prepare some food here. Please, continue your work. Don't mind me but thanks, anyway. "

" Alright, Miss Hannah. " He said then he continue his work.

I sigh. So, where should I begin? Hmm...

It is the hardest part of thinking. Where should I begin? Where? Sometimes, the thought of where should we start makes us feel uncomfortable. Why? Because, we aren't sure, yes, not always. There is no particular thing. We are always having second thought, on the other way around. You know why it is happening to us? Because, we're up to more possibilities, perhaps. We're looking for more possibilities. What if? We are so eager to begin yet we are so dumb on thinking where we should begin. The thing is, at the end, it is still unpredictable. We're ended up on a phrase of " Let's see what might happen. " , unsure, unclear, indefinite, hazy, vagueness.

I sigh.

I pick up a cup then I prepared a black Coffee, the usual taste. Then, I pick up the baked Chocolate round cake on the oven. I pick it up and put it on the box and sealed it with a white ribbon.

" Hmmm.. I think, this is good. Yeah, I think. " I said. Then, I turned my back to Mike. " Mike, I'm done. I'll go now. Thanks. "

" Alright, Miss Hannah. " He just said.

I nod at him and pick up the box of cake and the cup of coffee and walk back on the counter. I untie my apron and fold it and put it under the counter. Then, tied up my hair. I let some strands of it down to my face. I pick my body bag and I'm ready.

" Millie, I will go now. Please take care the cafe while I'm gone. " I said to her. " But, I'll be back before the closing time. "

Millie nodded.

" Yes, Miss Hannah! " She said.

Then, door chimes rang. A customer.

We both look at the entrance, at the same time.

A tall man in a white coat entered. A stethoscope is hanging on his neck.

" Hi! Good--" He looked at his wrist watch while holding his eyeglasses. " --Morning? Yeah, Good Morning! Too early before the afternoon. " He said. He turned his look to Millie then turned it back to me.
" How are you? " He asked.

I smiled at him. " I'm good. Yes, feeling better than before. By the way, hope you don't mind if I ask, what are you doing here? "

" Oh! I just need a break. Too many patients in the hospital. I just need to break for awhile. And, of course to order a cup of Cappuccino, well if that is okay to you? " He said.

I nod at him. " Yeah, yeah, of course. Millie, please give Doc Leonard a cup of Cappuccino. " I said to Millie. " It's a treat. No need to pay it. "

" Are you sure? I still want to insist it, anyway. " He said then he smile.

I smiled back. " There's no need, Doc Leonard. "

" Alright. Thanks, anyway. " He said.

" You're welcome. " I said to him. Then, I pick up the box of cake and the cup of coffee.

I turned to Millie. " I'll go now, Millie. "

She nod at me. " Alright, Miss Hannah. " She said. Then she turned to Doc Leonard. " Here's your coffee, Sir. " Millie said.

" Oh! Thank you! " He said.

" You're welcome, Sir. " Millie said back.

I turned my look at him. " By the way, enjoy your coffee. I'll go ahead now. " I said to him then I walk through the door.

He nodded at me.

I nod at him then I turned my back at him and walk through the door. I stopped from walking and turned my back at him. Then, I sigh.

He is still looking at me. Yes, I caught him looking at my back. He smirked.

I ignored him. " I am not aware that doctors are allowed to wear their stethoscope in public places. " I just said instead.

His eyes widened. " Oh! Shit! Damn! I forgot! " He said aloud then he unwear his stethoscope and put it inside his coat's pocket. Then, he turned his look back at me. " Thanks for telling it to me. "

" You're welcome. Bye! " I said then I continue my walk going to the door.

" Wait! " He shouted.

I stopped from walking and turned back at him with my eyes showing ' What? ' .

   " Where will you go? " He asked while sipping his cup of Cappuccino.

   " In the south. Why? " I answered and asked back.

   " I'll give you a ride. Is that okay with you? " He said. But, he started in walking towards me.

I look at him, seriously.

" Well, I am just concern. You know? I don't want to feel guilty here while thinking you are leaving on your own knowing that your symptoms might attack in any moment. " He explain.

I'm just staring at him. The look of ' Are you sure? '.

   " Alright. Cut that stare. Let's go. I will give you a ride. " He just said instead then he drank the last drop of cappuccino on his cup and gave it to Millie. Then, he smiled at her. " Thanks! ". He walks towards me then he get the box of cake and cup of coffee on my hands. " Let's go. " He said then he walk ahead of me.

I followed him. " Thanks! " I shouted at him. He's few inches away from me.

" You're welcome. " He just said while walking through the parking lot.