Chapter 48: Shit Don't Stop Here

"So I was thinking that for spring break it'd be a good idea for us to go on a family vacation..." Janelle smiles over at Semaj as she sits at the table eating a bag of chips while her phone was practically glued to her hand.

Semaj looks up from her phone screen and over to her mother who was preparing dinner. "Well for spring break Michael and I already had plans remember? You know, the plane tickets that dad wanted me to give back so bad? That was for us to go to Washington D.C."

"I remembered... well I had forgotten for a second, but wouldn't it be better if Michael postponed his trip until the summer, or maybe after your senior exams at school? It'd be much better if we took a trip as a family... including your father."

"That's a disaster waiting to happen," Semaj replies in a mumble. "Dad is going to ruin the trip if we even did go on it. But going on the trip with Michael gives me time to spend with him... alone..."

"Semaj... don't you think that you spend enough time with Michael? If you're not home or practicing for the play then you're with Michael. Even after the play, you're always with Michael. There's never a time I look up to see you and he's not around. I get it, he's your first love, but you can't allow yourself to get attached to him." Janelle sighs heavily and Semaj frowns, shaking her head.

"I am not always with Michael. You're making it seem like I'm up under him twenty-four seven when that isn't true."

"Semaj," Janelle chuckles walking over to the table, folding her arms. "You're always with Michael sweet heart. I'm not saying it's bad to be around him, but for your sake you have to be able to distance yourself from him... you know... just in case things don't work out." Janelle replies, her eyes warning.

"I have a life outside of being around Michael. It's not like I stay huddled up in my room, all alone waiting for him. I go out with Lina, or I'll go somewhere with Simone or Michael's sisters and majority of the time Michael isn't even around. I know you're concerned about me becoming overly attached to him but I assure you mom, I have my head screwed on tight. I'm not going to drop everything and make Michael the center of my world; I know my priorities," Semaj explains reassuringly.

Janelle stares at her daughter for a few seconds before sighing and nodding her head.

"I'll accept that... well I guess I can't really stop you from going to Washington. Just be careful and safe," she points a warning finger at Semaj.

"This is really cute," LaToya says picking up a pair of denim overall shorts.

"Oh no," Semaj shakes her head, clutching the bath and body works bag in her hand. "I can get away with a lot of things but that is not my style."

"Have you ever own a pair?" LaToya asks side-eyeing Semaj.

"No," Semaj replies shaking her head.

"What about ever tried on a pair?"

Again, Semaj shakes her head. "No."

"Then how are you ever going to know if it's your style or not?" LaToya asks cocking her eyebrow and Lina and Simone who were standing off to the side giggle and Semaj shakes her head, sighing. It was always a lose-win situation when it came to shopping with LaToya, and Semaj was always the loser.

"Fine, I'll go and try it on." Semaj finds her right size before walking off to the changing rooms.

"You go wit her, me and 'Mone gonna go find the pretzel place. Where ya'll goin next?" Lina asks pointing her thumb behind her as she begins to back out of Macy's.

"Probably Victoria Secret, maybe I can convince her to buy some pretty panties."

Lina and Simone both laugh. "Right, good luck," Lina gives LaToya two thumbs before turning around and walking through the propped open glass doors.