Chapter 49: Chaperoning and Theatre Surprises

I hated to miss a day of school (even though it was the last day before spring break) and especially since I've missed a couple throughout the year, more than I have before, but I knew my dad would need my help. Trying to go to and from the kitchen for essentials, like food and water, would be a hassle, so I stuck around to help him. It was almost nine o'clock when I saw my mom's car pull up outside. I was in the mist of preparing oatmeal and bacon for my dad when she walked into the house. I guess the aroma made her come straight to the kitchen for she hadn't even taken her shoes or her jacket off when she appeared, and boy was she shocked to see me.

"Why aren't you at school? You're officially late now missy," she tells me while looking down at her watch. "Did you wake up late or something? Want me to drop you off?" She walks over to the counter taking a strip of bacon that I had draining off of the paper towel.

"I'm not going to school today. Mom, where were you last night?"

She sighs and shakes her head, finally putting down her purse to take off her jacket. "Janice and Monica both overdid it on the drinks last night. I had to make sure both of them were okay, it was like having two babies up under you at once. Janice is in the middle of getting a divorce and Monica and her husband are having some troubles. I practically played mommy and Dr. Phil last night," she chuckles shaking her head.

"Well something happened," I mumble and it's like right on the tick of the clock her eyes are on me.

"What happened? Are you okay? Where is Simone?"

"Uh, Michael walked Simone to school, but it had nothing to do with me. It had something to do with Dad and Michael..." She rolls her eyes and shakes her head.

"I'm so sick of that between those two. Semaj, I think we need to just accept the fact that they won't get along, at least not in this lifetime."

"No mom," I shake my head. "They were actually working together... well; I'll just tell you the story."

She furrows her brows at me before nodding her head and sitting down on the bar stool on the other side of the island. While mixing some nuts, raisins, and sugar into the bowl of oatmeal I explained the events that happened last night, including me being dramatic by jumping to conclusions and slapping Michael. I wasn't even able to get to the lie that dad had fed Michael and I before my mother was up from the stool, her heels clicking against the floor as she made her way to the backrooms.

"Okay..." I whisper, furrowing my brows and then there's hard knocking on the front door. I can only unlock the door before its being pushed open and Michael rushes inside.

"Dang bruh took you long enough." Michael says slipping off his black leather jacket.

"Michael you weren't standing outside for more than ten seconds," I reply eyeing him before making my way back to the kitchen but he grabs me up so we're back to front.

"I ain't neva seen you in no leggins... at least I don't think so..." I turn to face him and his hand grazes over my behind making me push him away.

"And that is why I know not to wear them often," I point a finger at him and he shrugs his shoulders as we enter the kitchen.

"I guess you needa come by and say bye to Joey since she gon be wit my moms," Michael says taking a piece of bacon off of the paper towel.

"Oh yeah well, I planned on being with you today anyway, especially since my mom is here now." I gesture towards the back and Michael nods his head.

"I thought that was her car."

"Yeah, I'll go and check on my parents and change my pants and then we can leave."