Chapter 13.

I sat across from my mom at the dining table. Ryder stayed on the couch finishing watching The Purge. I fiddle with the hair tie around my wrist as I wait to hear this lecture; most likely about Ryder.

"Look, I'm fine with you having a boyfriend but if it's going to disrupt your recovery then there's going to be a problem." My mom says.

"Ryder isn't my boyfriend." I respond.

"Why weren't you in your own bed?" She asks.

Fuck.

I let out a heavy sigh, "Okay so maybe me and Ryder have been hanging out."

"In his bed? I didn't let him stay here so you two could have sex."

I almost jump out the chair.

"Mom! We didn't do anything, we were just sleeping."

"You better be telling the truth because none of the kind will be happening under my roof." She tells me.

"I don't need to be told this." I reply.

"Explain why you didn't go to school today." She commands.

"I accidentally slept in. It's not a big deal."

"Actually it is. You're suppose to make an effort with regaining your memory, avoiding going to school isn't going to help."

I am getting more and more exasperated with this discussion.

I cross my arms, "I wasn't avoiding it. I told you I overslept, by accident." I emphasise the word.

"I don't want to be harsh on you, I just want you to look after yourself and understand the importance of recovering."

"Got it mom." I say and leave quickly.

I walk back into the lounge room, stand in front of Ryder and hold out my hand.

"Come on let's go upstairs." I tell him.

He takes my hand and we walk up to my bedroom, I sit down on my bed and Ryder sits as well.

"So, are you in trouble?" Ryder questions me, "If me being here is causing issues I can leave."

I shake my head, "No, my mom is just concerned that we're having sex."

"Well still, I can't stay here forever." He replies.

"There's no rush though. My mom and I are both happy to help you out."

He smiles.

"Are you okay? What happened with your dad today was crazy."

Ryder looks down at the floor, "I'm great. Sorry that you were in that situation with me."

"I wanted to go, remember? It's fine don't apologise."

I get the feeling that he doesn't want to speak about his dad so I change the subject before he gets uncomfortable.

"So why did you and Will fight?" I ask.

"There was a situation that happened a few months ago." Ryder explains.