Chapter 27

Each night in her chamber the queen cried herself to sleep from loneliness and sorrow; not knowing what had happened to her husband, the king. She did not let Brinah know who her father was thinking it best to keep this a secret. 

When Brina would have vague memories of where she lived before, Aisha would reassure her everything was fine and there was nothing to worry about. Thinking, "Heaven help us if she ever finds out what her father has become."

Brinah's tenth birthday was approaching and the queen had planned a small trip to the coast. The queen, princess and a maid journeyed in a plain carriage and were accompanied by two guards on horseback.

As they traveled through the country side they could enjoy the scenery of the grassy hills covered in flowers. Birds chirped and flew through the air from tree to tree. The sweet smell of wild roses filled the air on a warm afternoon. It would be two more hours before they arrived in time for sunset.

In the morning preparations for a small party were in progress. The maid prepared a cake and the queen was going to give the princess a beautiful ruby necklace that was an heirloom. Brinah's black hair was braided with ribbons and wild flowers and her dress was lace and burgundy velvet.

As they sat together at the table Brinah thought it would be nice if the king would visit for her birthday.

Aisha scolded her for her longing since he was too busy and had no time for them.

Evening fell and it was bed time for Brinah. With an embrace, Brinah thanked her mother for the wonderful party and kissed her good night.

"See you tomorrow mommy!"

"Sweet dreams my love."

Aisha retired early too and read until she fell asleep.

She was startled awake by the screams of Brinah and ran to her room. After opening the door she found the room empty and the window open. She quickly pulled a robe over her gown and ran outside.

Beneath a full moon what she saw made chills run up and down her spine.

She screamed, "NOOOOOO!" and vomited.

In the field she saw Brinah, lying down naked, with an ugly demon on top of her and Nawzak was on horseback watching, accompanied by a small band of men.

Aisha gave out a blood curdling scream again and ran towards the ocean. She was followed by the king who called out her name.

"Aisha don't run. Stop. I don't know what has happened to me. I'm so lost. I need you and I'm sorry I've become such an evil cesspool."

"Then why don't you kill yourself you bastard?"

Aisha ran to the edge of the cliff. She was sobbing uncontrollably and shouted, "Don't you dare come near me you filthy, rotten murderer!"

"That was your child. She was an angel. The only thing still good in this disgusting, loathsome world you created."

"How could you give her over to a demon?"

"Stay away from me."

Aisha kept backing up until till she lost her footing and fell off of the cliff to the beach below.

The king ran to the edge and saw Aisha lying on her back on the beach. She was dead.

He fell to his knees and sobbed like a child lost in an unspeakable pain and vowed to get her back.

Looking up at the night sky, he screamed, "I must get her back! I must get them both back!"

"God help me! What have I become?"

Upon saying God's name wild convulsions overcame him and he vomited violently until he passed out.

The next morning he awoke in his bed chamber not remembering who brought him or how he got there.

He reached for a vassal of wine and paced the floor then stopped in front of a mirror. He looked at the image staring back at him; it was covered in vomit and sweat with eyes sunken and blood shot.

There was no limit to his emptiness having lost everything he dearly loved. There was nothing else left to do but to take over the universe although he didn't know where this overpowering impulse came from or any of the other ones he had.

Sophia sat there stunned after she witnessed what had happened to her husband from another life. She broke down into tears and sobbed profusely knowing how overwhelming the evil had been and the source of it. It wasn't his fault and she became aware of feelings she still had for him. His brothers' selfish ambitions ruined their lives; that of their family and lives of the people of the planet Lanoc.