~Chapter 5

"I need help. I'll explain everything..."

Those few words were how Matilda and Evangelia, a total stranger to Elizabeth, were sat listening to the story of a twisted lie.

"When we were young, me and Edward were both friends. Our parents were business owners, which meant it would be best for me and Edward to get married and everything as soon as possible. That was according to my mother, anyway. However, me and Edward never saw each other like that, ever. We barely knew each other, even if we did hang out a bit.

"Our parents weren't having it, though. They wanted the businesses to work together, and the best way that could happen was through marriage. This meant, until we both left school, me and Edward had to pretend to be soulmates. No one can test if we can see colour anyway, so lying would be simple.

"However, recently, Edward has been... rough. Not in a sexual way, no! But, physically...? He has been abusing me verbally, saying he wishes he could just kill me. That I could disappear from his life. And, today, while Matilda was out... he... he..."

Elizabeth took in a shaky breath, as if scared to admit anything. Her eyes held a look that said she regretted saying anything anyway.

"He beat me."

A gasp escaped not only Matilda, but also Evangelia. Both their eyes were wide, holding multiple emotions. Liza was beginning to tear up again and look towards the ground. Anyone from the outside could tell she regretted saying anything. Maybe she was scared Edward would find out and hurt her again? Maybe her parents would find out and be disappointed in her?

However, Matilda was just as angry as Liza was sad. She wanted to find Edward and give him a 'taste of his own medicine'. She was waiting to calm down after the confession to find out who to beat. Edward was number one on her list. How can he beat his girlfriend, even if it was just pretend? How could anyone beat someone unless they truly deserved it?

Matilda's bed shifted as weight was lifted. Evangelia had gone to hug Liza and comfort her, even if they were strangers to each other. To Evangelia, kindness was free and if someone needed, why not give to them? Liza obviously enjoyed the hug and held her hand around Evangelia's wrist, which was in front of her neck, her arms wrapped around her shoulders.

"Hey, do you know where Edward's dorm is? I'm going to beat him so in his-"

"HEY! No bad words here! Now, we need to talk to him first, find out why he did it, then beat him, ok?" Evangelia said, looking at Matilda with seemingly threatening eyes. That made Matilda gulp, sitting back from the bed she had just jumped up from. She nodded, her eyes soon softening when she heard Liza whimper.

"We're going to sort this idiot out, ok? Trust us!"