Chapter 3: Jett

When we arrived to school nothing was really happening like I expected. There was no gossiping about who I hung out with. No jealous looks, no cat calls from horny boys. I wasn't the topic of people's conversations. It was weird but I strangely loved it.

That's probably weird to say. I loved not having people's attention. I mean i do but I felt normal for once. There was no expectation for me to be this girl that everyone expected me to be. I could just be me. It felt like this imaginary weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

I was knocked out of my thoughts when a girl bumped into me. Both of our books fell and scattered across the hallway.

"I'm so sorry." She said blushing from embarrassment and then bent over to pick up hers and my books.

"It's totally okay. It was partially my fault I wasn't paying attention to where I was going." I bent down started picking up the books. She handed me the few of mine she had picked up and I did the same.

"What's your name?" I asked her. She looked young probably a freshman.

"Chelsea." She said nervously.

"Brooke." I responded. She fiddled with her zipper.

"What class are you headed to?" I asked her.

"Art." She said quickly.

"Me too. We can go together none of my friends are taking it." I said smiling.

"Okay." She perked up a little.

"So Chelsea what grade are you in?" I asked wondering if my guess of freshman was correct.

"I'm a freshman."

We chatted among ourselves as we walked  down the hall towards our class. She had two brothers one in my grade and one that's a sophomore in college. I told her that I didn't have any siblings but had a younger cousin who was like my sister and it's true I love Carly as if she was my little sister.

We eventually ended up at the art room about a minute before the tardy bell had rung. The art teacher Mrs. Davis seemed sweet. She talked for a little bit in the beginning of class about how she runs her class and all the other important things. Then she let us just chat and do whatever since it was only the second day. Chelsea and I sat and talked about random things. Chelsea had told me that her two best friends moved away over the summer and she didn't have really any other friends.

The bell soon rang dismissing everyone for lunch. Chelsea and I walked to the cafeteria together. I invited her to come sit with me and my friends and she gladly agreed.

We got our lunches and made our way to the table I sat at yesterday with Haley, Jax, and Jett. It seemed like they weren't there yet so we just sat down and started eating.

A few minutes later Haley and Jett came up and sat at the table arguing about something not even noticing that Chelsea and I were there. Jax soon followed eyeing Chelsea and I.

"What are you doing Chelsea?" Jax said with obvious irritation in his voice.

"Brooke invited me to sit with her and her friends I didn't realize that was you." She said just as much ticked off as he was. I was confused but it then occurred to me just as quickly as the question came to my head. She had a brother in my grade. Jax has told me yesterday he had a sister that was a freshman.

Haley and Jett finally stopped arguing and looked over at us.

"Hey Brooke, Chels what's up?" Haley asked ignoring the fact that Jax was totally pissed off by his sister sitting with us.